* gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-11  6:32 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hello,

I am using latest Emacs (24.3.50.3 built on 2013-08-10) from trunk built
yesterday. I noticed that gnus downloading mails from a "POP" account again
and again although it doesn't show them as unread mails.

Every time, I press 'g' to get new mails, gnus starts downloading old messages
again (not all the messages). it must be very recent change on Emacs trunk.

I configuration looks like this, which I haven't touched for long now.

  (add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.XXXXXXX.jp"
                                   :user "XXXX"
                                   :leave t))

Thanks.
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-12  0:33 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-08-12  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala wrote:
> I am using latest Emacs (24.3.50.3 built on 2013-08-10) from trunk built
> yesterday. I noticed that gnus downloading mails from a "POP" account again
> and again although it doesn't show them as unread mails.

> Every time, I press 'g' to get new mails, gnus starts downloading old messages
> again (not all the messages). it must be very recent change on Emacs trunk.

> I configuration looks like this, which I haven't touched for long now.

>   (add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.XXXXXXX.jp"
>                                    :user "XXXX"
>                                    :leave t))

Try a number of days for `:leave'.

,---- (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers")
| Leave mails on the server for 14 days:
|
|      (pop :server "my.pop.server"
|           :user "user-name" :password "secret"
|           :leave 14)
`----

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-12  1:21   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-08-12  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Try a number of days for `:leave'.

> ,---- (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers")
>| Leave mails on the server for 14 days:
>|
>|      (pop :server "my.pop.server"
>|           :user "user-name" :password "secret"
>|           :leave 14)
> `----

I realized I should fix the description for `:leave', sorry.

Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
fetching.  Mails once fetched will never be fetched again by
the UIDL control.
↓	↓	↓
Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
fetching.  If this is a number, mails once fetched will never
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
be fetched again by the UIDL control.

I'm going to commit the fixed version later.

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-12  2:13     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: ding

Hello Yamaoka-san,

Thanks for reply and possible fix.

On Aug 12 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> Try a number of days for `:leave'.
>
>> ,---- (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers")
>>| Leave mails on the server for 14 days:
>>|
>>|      (pop :server "my.pop.server"
>>|           :user "user-name" :password "secret"
>>|           :leave 14)
>> `----
>
> I realized I should fix the description for `:leave', sorry.
>
> Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
> fetching.  Mails once fetched will never be fetched again by
> the UIDL control.
> ↓	↓	↓
> Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
> fetching.  If this is a number, mails once fetched will never
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> be fetched again by the UIDL control.
>
> I'm going to commit the fixed version later.

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-12  2:39       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Yamaoka-san,

I just learned that, even if I delete that pop server from `mail-sources' this
is happening..

then I see the following message in my *messages* buffer
╭─────
│...
│Processing mail from ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box...
│Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1481
│Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1482
│...
╰─────

I don't know why and when that emacs-mail-crash-box was created. I
crash removed manually and tried connecting to that pop server again.

Phew., Now there is a new "crash-box" file in my home directory.

I don't whether this is bug in gnus or some thing  specific to my mail
provider problem. :(

On Aug 12 2013, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> Hello Yamaoka-san,
>
> Thanks for reply and possible fix.
>

> On Aug 12 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
>
>> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>>> Try a number of days for `:leave'.
>>
>>> ,---- (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers")

>>> `----
>>
>> I realized I should fix the description for `:leave', sorry.
>>
>> Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
>> fetching.  Mails once fetched will never be fetched again by
>> the UIDL control.
>> ↓	↓	↓
>> Non-`nil' if the mail is to be left on the POP server after
>> fetching.  If this is a number, mails once fetched will never
>>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> be fetched again by the UIDL control.
>>
>> I'm going to commit the fixed version later.
>

> Thanks.,

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-12  2:43         ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Aug 12 2013, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> Hello Yamaoka-san,
>
> I just learned that, even if I delete that pop server from `mail-sources' this
> is happening..
>
> then I see the following message in my *messages* buffer
> ╭─────
> │...
> │Processing mail from ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box...
> │Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1481
> │Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1482
> │...
> ╰─────
>
> I don't know why and when that emacs-mail-crash-box was created. I
> crash removed manually and tried connecting to that pop server again.
^^^^^
I meant "I removed crash-box file manually and ..."

> Phew., Now there is a new "crash-box" file in my home directory.
>
> I don't whether this is bug in gnus or some thing  specific to my mail
> provider problem. :(

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-12  3:49           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-08-12  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: ding

Hi Yagnesh,

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12 2013, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:
>> I just learned that, even if I delete that pop server from
>> `mail-sources' this is happening..
>>
>> then I see the following message in my *messages* buffer
>> ╭─────
>> │...
>> │Processing mail from ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box...
>> │Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1481
>> │Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/1482
>> │...
>> ╰─────
>>
>> I don't know why and when that emacs-mail-crash-box was created.

Well, I guess some error happens while splitting mails into groups
(I suspect there might be something bad in your splitting rule).
Doesn't the echo-area or the "*Messages*" buffer say something
about that?

Normally it lets the pop3 back end fetch new mails into the crash
box file, splits those mails into groups, and renames the crash
box file into ~/Mail/Incoming* or simply deletes it.

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-12  5:21             ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Hello Yamaoka-san,

Thanks for the reply.,

> Well, I guess some error happens while splitting mails into groups
> (I suspect there might be something bad in your splitting rule).

Could be, but I have been using same splitting rules for long time now. I will
try to debug and report back.

> Doesn't the echo-area or the "*Messages*" buffer say something
> about that?

> Normally it lets the pop3 back end fetch new mails into the crash
> box file, splits those mails into groups, and renames the crash
> box file into ~/Mail/Incoming* or simply deletes it.

That makes sense., it would have been better if gnus tells me that it had
failed to process the crash box last time around and ask for what should be
done.

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-12 14:10               ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Hi Yamaoka-san,

On Aug 12 2013, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

>> Doesn't the echo-area or the "*Messages*" buffer say something
>> about that?

The *messages* buffer contains many instance of following messages

╭─────
│Reading incoming mail from pop...
│Processing mail from ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box...
│Wrote /home/yagnesh/gnus/Mail/mail/hokudai/4426
│Mail source (pop :server pop.hines.hokudai.ac.jp :user XXXXX :leave 14) failed: (file-error Opening output file no such file or directory /home/yagnesh/Mail/Incoming117956Yf)
│nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
│Reading active file via nnml...done
│Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
│Reading active file via nndraft...done
│Checking new news...done
│No news is good news
╰─────

Since at this time incoming mail is only one, I manually compared
".emacs-mail-crash-box" and split mail by gnus. gnus processed and stored in
properly and it even identified Its a duplicate of earlier message.Thats means
My split rules are fine I guess.

╭─────
│(file-error Opening output file no such file or directory /home/yagnesh/Mail/Incoming117956Yf)
╰─────
Now what I don't why I get this error.

FYI, this is the setup I have for mail splitting. (Not really a fancy one)
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      `(| ;; gmail
          ("Delivered-To" "myuserid.*gmail.*" "mail.gmail.pop")

          ;; hokudai mail
          (| ("subject" "ncl-talk.*" "mail.ncl")  ;from ncl list
             ("subject" ".*wrf.*"  "mail.wrf")    ; wrf
             ("subject" "gradusr.*"  "mail.grads") ; from grads list
             ("Delivered-To" "myuserid.*" "mail.hokudai"))  ;remaining goes to hokudai mail

          ;; live mail
          (to "yagnesh@live" "mail.live")

          ("from" mail (| ("subject" "warn.*" "mail.warning")
                          "mail.misc"))

          ;; mail from and to me
          ;; (any ,gnus-ignored-from-addresses "mail.misc")
          "mail.misc"))

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-12 17:12                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:

> │Mail source (pop :server pop.hines.hokudai.ac.jp :user XXXXX :leave
> 14) failed: (file-error Opening output file no such file or directory
> /home/yagnesh/Mail/Incoming117956Yf)

Well, that's the error.  It's either not able to create or read files
from your ~/Mail directory.  Are the permissions on the directory OK?
Or do you have a disk error?

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php
  and http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/08/twenty-years-of-september.html

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-13  1:26                   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-13  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, ding

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the reply.

On Aug 13 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:
>
>> │Mail source (pop :server pop.hines.hokudai.ac.jp :user XXXXX :leave
>> 14) failed: (file-error Opening output file no such file or directory
>> /home/yagnesh/Mail/Incoming117956Yf)
>
> Well, that's the error.  It's either not able to create or read files
> from your ~/Mail directory.

Ouch. I don't have "~/Mail" at all. I intentionally deleted that long time ago.

I have following setup in my .emacs to make use of "~/gnus" folder for all my
mail/news.

╭─────
│(setq gnus-home-directory "~/gnus")
│(setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc")
│(setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/News")
│(setq message-directory "~/gnus/Mail")
╰─────

So why gnus looking into ~/Mail directory now.? :/

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-13  2:07                     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-13  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, ding

Hello Lars,

More info.

On Aug 13 2013, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> Hello Lars,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Aug 13 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>
>> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:
>>
>>> │Mail source (pop :server pop.hines.hokudai.ac.jp :user XXXXX :leave
>>> 14) failed: (file-error Opening output file no such file or directory
>>> /home/yagnesh/Mail/Incoming117956Yf)
>>
>> Well, that's the error.  It's either not able to create or read files
>> from your ~/Mail directory.
>
> Ouch. I don't have "~/Mail" at all. I intentionally deleted that long time ago.
>
> I have following setup in my .emacs to make use of "~/gnus" folder for all my
> mail/news.
>
> ╭─────
> │(setq gnus-home-directory "~/gnus")
> │(setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc")
> │(setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/News")
> │(setq message-directory "~/gnus/Mail")
> ╰─────
>
> So why gnus looking into ~/Mail directory now.? :/

So I created ~/Mail directory to see what will happen. Now gnus showing is
showing all it processed (lots of duplicates for each mail as unread mail) for
the last 2/3 days incoming mails.

Is there any option in gnus to hunt down all the duplicates?

And also I noticed that,

╭─────┤ C-h v gnus-article-save-directory RET ├─────
│gnus-article-save-directory is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
│Its value is "~/News/"
│Original value was "~/gnus/News"
╰─────

The variable initialized properly but some where it get updated (bad code?).
In elisp, is it possible to get an echo of the location where a variable gets
updated (some kind of advise function)?

Seems I going against the wind, I should better stick with default ~/News and
~/Mail.

Sorry for long and verbose mail(s).

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-08-13  3:33                     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-08-13  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:
> Ouch. I don't have "~/Mail" at all. I intentionally deleted that
> long time ago.
> I have following setup in my .emacs to make use of "~/gnus" folder
> for all my mail/news.

> ╭─────
> │(setq gnus-home-directory "~/gnus")
> │(setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc")
> │(setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/News")
> │(setq message-directory "~/gnus/Mail")
> ╰─────

Are those setq's really in the ~/.emacs file?

> So why gnus looking into ~/Mail directory now.? :/

When fetching mails, the value of `mail-source-directory' will
be used as the mail directory.  It defaults to the value of
`message-directory' (defaults to "~/Mail/"); the value you
customized will be reflected if and only if it is set in
the ~/.emacs file and no Gnus' el(c) module is loaded before it
is set.  A workaround may be:

(setq mail-source-directory "~/gnus/Mail/")

But I don't recommend customizing such variables of Gnus' basic.
I think it may cause an unexpected influence that even the author
doesn't know. :)

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-13  3:51                       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-08-13  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:
>> Ouch. I don't have "~/Mail" at all. I intentionally deleted that
>> long time ago.
>> I have following setup in my .emacs to make use of "~/gnus" folder
>> for all my mail/news.
>
>> ╭─────
>> │(setq gnus-home-directory "~/gnus")
>> │(setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc")
>> │(setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/News")
>> │(setq message-directory "~/gnus/Mail")
>> ╰─────
>
> Are those setq's really in the ~/.emacs file?
>
>> So why gnus looking into ~/Mail directory now.? :/
>
> When fetching mails, the value of `mail-source-directory' will
> be used as the mail directory.  It defaults to the value of
> `message-directory' (defaults to "~/Mail/"); the value you
> customized will be reflected if and only if it is set in
> the ~/.emacs file and no Gnus' el(c) module is loaded before it
> is set.  A workaround may be:
>
> (setq mail-source-directory "~/gnus/Mail/")
>
> But I don't recommend customizing such variables of Gnus' basic.
> I think it may cause an unexpected influence that even the author
> doesn't know. :)

I've certainly tried pretty hard to do this in the past (to get
everything emacs-related under "~/.emacs.d") and it never quite worked
-- things occasionally, stubbornly, showed up under "~/Mail".

* Re: gnus downloading mails from pop again and again.
@ 2013-08-15  8:34                       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Hello Yamaoka-san,

On Aug 13 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:
>> Ouch. I don't have "~/Mail" at all. I intentionally deleted that
>> long time ago.
>> I have following setup in my .emacs to make use of "~/gnus" folder
>> for all my mail/news.
>
>> ╭─────
>> │(setq gnus-home-directory "~/gnus")
>> │(setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc")
>> │(setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/News")
>> │(setq message-directory "~/gnus/Mail")
>> ╰─────
>
> Are those setq's really in the ~/.emacs file?

Hmm.. actually not. They were in .gnus.el file.

>> So why gnus looking into ~/Mail directory now.? :/
>
> When fetching mails, the value of `mail-source-directory' will
> be used as the mail directory.  It defaults to the value of
> `message-directory' (defaults to "~/Mail/"); the value you
> customized will be reflected if and only if it is set in
> the ~/.emacs file and no Gnus' el(c) module is loaded before it
> is set.

Thats it, Thanks. after all, I see, it is already mentioned in doc of
`gnus-directory' variable.

> A workaround may be:

> (setq mail-source-directory "~/gnus/Mail/")
>
> But I don't recommend customizing such variables of Gnus' basic.
> I think it may cause an unexpected influence that even the author
> doesn't know. :)

After moving relevant parts from .gnus.el to .emacs, Every thing seems work
fine. I will keep the current way. I will follow if I hit any problem again.

Thanks for help.

--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR