* Definition of Archive group
@ 2013-05-22  8:23 Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-05-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I would like to set my archive group as follow:

1) if the mail is an email, I want a copy in the group from which I send
(i.e. gcc-self . t) but when I send via a newsgroup, I want to puyt a
copy into a specific group (i.e. "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"). But the
following does not work:

,----
|  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
|          '((if (message-news-p)
|                "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"
|              t)))
`----

How can I achieve the above mentioned goal?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Definition of Archive group
@ 2013-05-22  9:49 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-05-22  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M. Krug wrote:
> I would like to set my archive group as follow:

> 1) if the mail is an email, I want a copy in the group from which I send
> (i.e. gcc-self . t) but when I send via a newsgroup, I want to puyt a
> copy into a specific group (i.e. "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"). But the
> following does not work:

> ,----
>|  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>|          '((if (message-news-p)
>|                "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"
>|              t)))
> `----

I guess the value `t' is the culprit; it should be the default
archive group (a string) for the case where gcc-self is not
allowed[1] or the gcc-self group is unable to specify[2].
Anyway `t' should cause an error when inserting a Gcc header.

[1] A read-only group.
[2] Start composing a mail in the *Group* buffer.

* Re: Definition of Archive group
@ 2013-05-22 10:36   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-05-22 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>> I would like to set my archive group as follow:
>
>> 1) if the mail is an email, I want a copy in the group from which I send
>> (i.e. gcc-self . t) but when I send via a newsgroup, I want to puyt a
>> copy into a specific group (i.e. "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"). But the
>> following does not work:
>
>> ,----
>>|  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>|          '((if (message-news-p)
>>|                "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"
>>|              t)))
>> `----
>
> I guess the value `t' is the culprit; it should be the default

Yes - I agree.

> archive group (a string) for the case where gcc-self is not
> allowed[1] or the gcc-self group is unable to specify[2].
> Anyway `t' should cause an error when inserting a Gcc header.

But how can I then specify that the archive group should be the group in
which I started composing the email (unless [1] and [2])?

Rainer

@ 2013-05-22 11:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-05-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M. Krug wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>>> I would like to set my archive group as follow:
>>
>>> 1) if the mail is an email, I want a copy in the group from which I send
>>> (i.e. gcc-self . t) but when I send via a newsgroup, I want to puyt a
>>> copy into a specific group (i.e. "nnimap+Maildir:Sent"). But the
>>> following does not work:
>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> I guess the value `t' is the culprit; it should be the default

> Yes - I agree.

>> archive group (a string) for the case where gcc-self is not
>> allowed[1] or the gcc-self group is unable to specify[2].
>> Anyway `t' should cause an error when inserting a Gcc header.

> But how can I then specify that the archive group should be the group in
> which I started composing the email (unless [1] and [2])?

When composing a new mail in a certain group, the archive group
will get that group if gcc-self is set to t for the group.  You
can see it in the Gcc header in a draft message.  But if gcc-self
is not set as a group parameter for the group (for some reason),
setting the default archive group will be helpful.  If you talk
about the way to set gcc-self, see an example in the Info manual:

(info "(gnus)Group Parameters")  <- type `C-x C-e' here

I use:
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(
	("\\`nn[^drt][a-z]*:"
	 (gcc-self . t))
	))

>> [1] A read-only group.
>> [2] Start composing a mail in the *Group* buffer.

* SOLVED: Definition of Archive group
@ 2013-05-22 13:04       ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-05-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> I guess the value `t' is the culprit; it should be the default
>
>> Yes - I agree.
>
>>> archive group (a string) for the case where gcc-self is not
>>> allowed[1] or the gcc-self group is unable to specify[2].
>>> Anyway `t' should cause an error when inserting a Gcc header.
>
>> But how can I then specify that the archive group should be the group in
>> which I started composing the email (unless [1] and [2])?
>
> When composing a new mail in a certain group, the archive group
> will get that group if gcc-self is set to t for the group.  You
> can see it in the Gcc header in a draft message.  But if gcc-self
> is not set as a group parameter for the group (for some reason),
> setting the default archive group will be helpful.  If you talk
> about the way to set gcc-self, see an example in the Info manual:
>
> (info "(gnus)Group Parameters")  <- type `C-x C-e' here
>
> I use:
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(
> 	("\\`nn[^drt][a-z]*:"
> 	 (gcc-self . t))
> 	))

OK - I found the solution: set gnus-parameters for different group name
pattern. If I use the following, it works as I want it:

,----
|  (setq gnus-parameters
|         '(
|           (".*"
|            (gnus-use-scoring nil)
|            (gcc-self . t)
|            )
|           ("^gmane.*"
|            (gcc-self . "nnimap+Maildir:RMKrugGMAIL.[Gmail].Sent Mail"))
|           ))
`----

Thanks,

Rainer