* Re: ubuntu 12.4 and git gnus
       [not found] <868vgx9sm9.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2012-05-13  0:50 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-05-13  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I (perhaps foolishly) just upgrade my Ubuntu to the pangolin
> version. And now my git gnus is broken.
>
> I'm using the "emacs-snapshot" from
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cassou/emacs/ubuntu precise main
>
> and emacs24 otherwise seems to work fine.
>
> running make in the gnus directory, I get
>
> ,----
> | URLDIR="/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/url/" W3DIR="no"

I don't know if this will make any difference, but you may wish to tell
the system that emacs 24 is the default emacs:

  sudo update-alternatives --config emacs

should allow you to choose the emacs-snapshot option as the default.

I would then do a "make clean" in the gnus directory before attempting
to build.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6

* Re: ubuntu 12.4 and git gnus
@ 2012-05-20  0:20   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2012-05-20  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Eric,

Somehow I missed your reply last week!

    >> I (perhaps foolishly) just upgrade my Ubuntu to the pangolin
    >> version. And now my git gnus is broken.
    >>
    >> I'm using the "emacs-snapshot" from
    >>
    >> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cassou/emacs/ubuntu precise main
    >>
    >> and emacs24 otherwise seems to work fine.
    >>
    >> running make in the gnus directory, I get
    >>
    >> ,---- | ...  | ...  | URLDIR="/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/url/"
    >> W3DIR="no"

    Eric> I don't know if this will make any difference, but you may
    Eric> wish to tell the system that emacs 24 is the default emacs:

    Eric>   sudo update-alternatives --config emacs

Many thanks for posting a reply.

It seems that the URLDIR was being set to ...emacs/23.2...  -- as you
noted -- because I apparently (!) have neglected to run ./configure in
the gnus directory (for a *very* long while...) following my "git
pull"s.

Anyhow, the issue I wrote about isn't completely gone, but I think (?)
it is perhaps not so interesting for this list. (When a certain piece of
hardware -- a USB hub -- is attached, various things
"break". e.g. "Suspend"ing the laptop doesn't work correctly. And oddly
enough, running gnus freezes emacs -- even emacs23 -- if (and only if)
the USB hub is connected.  I guess it has nothing real to do with gnus,
but I haven't managed to work out what it *does* have to do
with. Anyhow, it was easy enough to unplug the hub...so the problem
doesn't seem too urgent.)

best,
gm

--