* nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10  0:50 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kind of strange thing and I dont know if its down to the connection but
Pan connects and downloads the groups fine with the same uid and pwd,
Gnus is connecting but not authenticating properly reaulting in me
only getting the basic eternal-september groups.

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '(nntp "me"
| 		    (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))
`----

with a corresponding line in .authinfo

,----
| machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASSWORD
`----

Is there something silly or horrendously wrong here?

(It used to work but I've messed something up thats not obvious to me or
a recent pull from git has seen it broken)

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 14:38 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 01:50:10 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Kind of strange thing and I dont know if its down to the connection but
RR> Pan connects and downloads the groups fine with the same uid and pwd,
RR> Gnus is connecting but not authenticating properly reaulting in me
RR> only getting the basic eternal-september groups.

RR> ,----
RR> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
RR> | 	     '(nntp "me"
RR> | 		    (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))
RR> `----

RR> with a corresponding line in .authinfo

RR> ,----
RR> | machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASSWORD
RR> `----

RR> Is there something silly or horrendously wrong here?

RR> (It used to work but I've messed something up thats not obvious to me or
RR> a recent pull from git has seen it broken)

Set `auth-source-debug' to 'trivia and redo the connection attempt, then
show the *Messages* content please.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 16:39   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

,----
| Reading active file from me via nntp...
| Opening nntp server on me...
| auth-source-search: found 1 backends matching (:max 1 :host "news.eternal-september.org" :port ("119" "nntp"))
| auth-source-netrc-parse: using CACHED file data for /home/shamrock/.emacs.d/.authinfo.gpg
| auth-source-search: found 0 results (max 1) matching (:max 1 :host "news.eternal-september.org" :port ("119" "nntp"))
| Opening nntp server on me...done
| Reading active file from me via nntp...done
`----

So its matching on the nntp-address and not on the "logical" "me"
name?

If I change "me" for news.eternal.. in the .authinfo it works. BUt then
I can only access ONE account at this address.

So it doesnt seem to work in the same way as it works for nnimap where I
change "me" for one or more other logical names and the correct secrets
are found for that respective machine entry.

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 17:40     ` Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2012-01-10 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> If I change "me" for news.eternal.. in the .authinfo it works. BUt
> then I can only access ONE account at this address.

The auth-source mechanism is able to dispatch not only on the host
name but also with respect to e.g. the user. I did this with multiple
IMAP accounts on my local IMAP server and it works great.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 454 bytes --]

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 17:46       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If I change "me" for news.eternal.. in the .authinfo it works. BUt
>> then I can only access ONE account at this address.
>
> The auth-source mechanism is able to dispatch not only on the host
> name but also with respect to e.g. the user. I did this with multiple
> IMAP accounts on my local IMAP server and it works great.

Above I wish it to do so on the logical connection name "me". I dont
know (or want to pubish in plaintext) the username : its in the authinfo
file..

I use this fine with nnimap for multiple gmail accounts.
 e.g

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '(nnimap "riley"
| 		      (nnir-search-engine imap)
| 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		      ))
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '(nnimap "shamrock"
| 		      (nnir-search-engine imap)
| 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		      ))
|
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '(nnimap "friends"
| 		      (nnir-search-engine imap)
| 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		      ))
`----

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 18:55         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:46:49 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Above I wish it to do so on the logical connection name "me". I dont
RR> know (or want to pubish in plaintext) the username : its in the authinfo
RR> file..

RR> I use this fine with nnimap for multiple gmail accounts.

I think I've committed a fix that will solve it for you.  Give it a try.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 18:59           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:46:49 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> Above I wish it to do so on the logical connection name "me". I dont
> RR> know (or want to pubish in plaintext) the username : its in the authinfo
> RR> file..
>
> RR> I use this fine with nnimap for multiple gmail accounts.
>
> I think I've committed a fix that will solve it for you.  Give it a try.
>
> Ted

hmm, I guess its going to mean me installing nognus with this emacs 24
pull. It'll take some time to check but in the meantime .. thanks.

Ill get back to you asap

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 19:04             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:59:52 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:46:49 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
RR> Above I wish it to do so on the logical connection name "me". I dont
RR> know (or want to pubish in plaintext) the username : its in the authinfo
RR> file..
>>
RR> I use this fine with nnimap for multiple gmail accounts.
>>
>> I think I've committed a fix that will solve it for you.  Give it a try.

RR> hmm, I guess its going to mean me installing nognus with this emacs 24
RR> pull. It'll take some time to check but in the meantime .. thanks.

You can try to apply the patch of this latest commit on top of the Emacs
24 nntp.el, but it should make its way to Emacs if Yamaoka-san does the sync.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 19:34               ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:59:52 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:46:49 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
> RR> Above I wish it to do so on the logical connection name "me". I dont
> RR> know (or want to pubish in plaintext) the username : its in the authinfo
> RR> file..
>>>
> RR> I use this fine with nnimap for multiple gmail accounts.
>>>
>>> I think I've committed a fix that will solve it for you.  Give it a try.
>
> RR> hmm, I guess its going to mean me installing nognus with this emacs 24
> RR> pull. It'll take some time to check but in the meantime .. thanks.
>
> You can try to apply the patch of this latest commit on top of the Emacs
> 24 nntp.el, but it should make its way to Emacs if Yamaoka-san does the sync.

tis ok, got nognus : first test with only one logical name "me" :
works.

e.g

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nntp "me"
> 		    (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))

and in .authinfo

> machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASS

is ok.

Add a second account e.g

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nntp "me"
> 		    (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  	     '(nntp "me2"
>  		    (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))

and in authinfo

> machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASS
> machine me2 login MYID2 force yes password MYPASS2

and it hangs on the second connection. I need to C-g. I'll try and post
the trivia log soon. Possibly its eternal-september but it used to
work. (I maintain work related and social accounts).

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 19:47                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:34:36 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Add a second account e.g

>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> '(nntp "me"
>> (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))

>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> '(nntp "me2"
>> (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))

RR> and in authinfo

>> machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASS
>> machine me2 login MYID2 force yes password MYPASS2

RR> and it hangs on the second connection. I need to C-g. I'll try and post
RR> the trivia log soon. Possibly its eternal-september but it used to
RR> work. (I maintain work related and social accounts).

I'm pretty sure this is because nntp.el assumes there is only one server
buffer per machine address.  Lars will have to look at it, I don't know
the nnoo stuff well enough.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-10 19:55                   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-10 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:34:36 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> Add a second account e.g
>
>>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>> '(nntp "me"
>>> (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))
>
>>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>> '(nntp "me2"
>>> (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")))
>
> RR> and in authinfo
>
>>> machine me login MYID force yes password MYPASS
>>> machine me2 login MYID2 force yes password MYPASS2
>
> RR> and it hangs on the second connection. I need to C-g. I'll try and post
> RR> the trivia log soon. Possibly its eternal-september but it used to
> RR> work. (I maintain work related and social accounts).
>
> I'm pretty sure this is because nntp.el assumes there is only one server
> buffer per machine address.  Lars will have to look at it, I don't know
> the nnoo stuff well enough.

just to reiterate that it works fine (this approach) with nnimap.

regards

r.

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-11 13:44                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-11 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:55:11 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> I'm pretty sure this is because nntp.el assumes there is only one server
>> buffer per machine address.  Lars will have to look at it, I don't know
>> the nnoo stuff well enough.

RR> just to reiterate that it works fine (this approach) with nnimap.

Yup.  nnimap.el names the buffers it creates differently from how
nntp.el does it.  If Lars doesn't respond soon I'll give it a try but he
really knows the backends much better.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-27 17:20                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-27 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'm pretty sure this is because nntp.el assumes there is only one server
> buffer per machine address.  Lars will have to look at it, I don't know
> the nnoo stuff well enough.

No, there's no limit to the number of nntp server buffers (per machine
address).  At least there shouldn't be.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-01-27 18:27                       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-27 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>       (generate-new-buffer
>        (format " *server %s %s %s*"
>                nntp-address nntp-port-number
>                (gnus-buffer-exists-p buffer)))

It generates a new buffer with that name as the starting point.  So the
next one will be called <2> etc if one already exists.

@ 2012-01-27 19:22                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:20:43 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I'm pretty sure this is because nntp.el assumes there is only one server
>> buffer per machine address.  Lars will have to look at it, I don't know
>> the nnoo stuff well enough.

LI> No, there's no limit to the number of nntp server buffers (per machine
LI> address).  At least there shouldn't be.

They seem uniquely mapped to the nntp-address and nntp-port-number.
Consider:

#+begin_src lisp
(defun nntp-make-process-buffer (buffer)
  "Create a new, fresh buffer usable for nntp process connections."
  (with-current-buffer
      (generate-new-buffer
       (format " *server %s %s %s*"
               nntp-address nntp-port-number
               (gnus-buffer-exists-p buffer)))
    (current-buffer)))

#+end_src

It should use the server's logical name too.  But I'm not sure, which is
why I didn't make a fix.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-02-01 18:27                         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-02-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:27:54 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> (generate-new-buffer
>> (format " *server %s %s %s*"
>> nntp-address nntp-port-number
>> (gnus-buffer-exists-p buffer)))

LI> It generates a new buffer with that name as the starting point.  So the
LI> next one will be called <2> etc if one already exists.

OK, then there's no reason the OP should not be able to use two nntp
Gnus servers for the same NNTP host, right?  He reported it still freezes.

Ted

* Re: nntp and authinfo working?
@ 2012-02-01 23:20                           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-01 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> OK, then there's no reason the OP should not be able to use two nntp
> Gnus servers for the same NNTP host, right?

There shouldn't be.

>  He reported it still freezes.

But that was weeks ago.  :-)

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome