From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Anyone with working nnimap => gmail
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:52:55 -0500	[thread overview]

>> I hope someone can coach me a bit.  I've set gnus up to use imap
>> accessing gmail account using the secondary select method:
>>

>>   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
>>                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>>

>> And I am able to subscribe to certain of the offered mailboxes.  But
>> then some do not appears on the list of subscribable groups.  And
>> others that do not appears on the gmail interface at all, DO appear on
>> gnus interface.  In particular, one named:
>>
>>      `34: [Gmail]/All Mail'
>>
>> shows on the subscribeable list but is not visible on the actual gmail
>> interface.
>
> Because gmail doesn't actually have "folders" in the normal imap
> sense.  It uses the concept of labels instead.  "All Mail" is, as it
> says, all the emails in your gmail account, regardless of what labels
> have been assigned to individual emails, including those that you have
> "archived" (which is sort of equivalent to expiring in gnus but not
> quite).  You can access emails in this "folder" from gmail by searching,
> for instance, and probably by asking to show all but it's not something
> I've done from the web interface so I am not sure.
>
>> Any that I have created thru the gmail interface do not show up as
>> subscribeable.  Is it normail to have to add them to the active list
>> for nnimap?
>
> yes, as somebody else has already replied.  What names do these
> invisible "folders" have?  All of my folders are visible from gnus.

Command names like keep, Bobbie, hold.tmp  and others.

>> Further yet.  I see odd happenings... for example I have a new mail in
>> the accounts INBOX when viewed from firefox, which I have set to show
>> gmail inbox on my homepage.  I haven't opened or in any way accessed
>> that message, yet it does NOT appear in my gnus nnimap setup.

> I am not sure I understand this.  What does not appear?  The email
> itself?  Have you tried looking at all the contents of your inbox, say
> using /o from the summary view?

Sorry I made it sound complicated... I just mean:
New mail on gmail does not show up on gnus as new mail.
Sometimes its there but marked read, sometimes it not there at all.
And no /o does not show it either.

In an instant case, I see 1 new message on gmail (in web browser).
I've left it there for 2 days now.  It has NOT appeared in gnus nnimap
folder `INBOX' or `All Mail' yet.

> and have you updated the contents from gnus?

Yes, including 2 full restarts of gnus followin reboots.