From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:06:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
> Thanks for the response.,

You're welcome.

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
>>> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
>>> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
>>> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.
>>
>> Although I don't do this any more (relying instead on gnus agent), I did
>> have a setup similar to what you are describing.  My approach was to use
>> fetchmail with mailfilter/maildrop to download emails from various
>> sources and place them all in a number of maildir folders.  These were
>> then read using gnus or mutt or wl or ...
>
> could you explain why you moved away from your erlier configuration.?

As mentioned later in my response, gnus IMAP support improved
dramatically.  For other reasons, I was finding it more attractive to
use the IMAP server(s) as my mail store instead of downloading
everything to my own systems.  One reason is my increased use of email
on my phone (Android) and wanting to keep email access as simple as
possible.  IMAP seemed the way to go.

I should add that I have also moved to a inbox zero approach to my email
so I don't actually want to keep emails for very long at all.  This
doesn't really affect my move from maildir to IMAP but did motivate me
to move to gnus a while back as it has a mode of operation that is
better suited to that approach, especially with automatic expiry of
mail.

>> The different machines I had were kept in sync using unison so there was
>> no single main system -- they (office, home, laptop) were all identical.
>
> thanks for mentioning unision, seems better option than git. if it is
> not private, would be great if you can post your syncing setup.

Nothing really out of the ordinary.  I keep all the files I want synced
between computers (and that used to include my full email store) in a
sub-tree called "synced".  I then simply

  unison synced remotehost:synced

when I'm done working on the local system.  When I start working on any
of my systems, the first thing I do is synchronise using the same
command, work away, and then synchronise again before turning off the
computer.  This applies to my home and laptop systems.

The synced sub-tree includes all my gnus related files (cache, agent,
scores, newsrc.eld, ...).

My synced sub-tree is about 2GB (maybe more: it's been a while since I
checked) but the amount of data needed to synchronise at any given point
is obviously usually much much smaller.

I do use git, however, for many other things, typically self-contained
projects where revision history is necessary or useful.  I do not
synchronise git directories using unison as you end up with a confused
git repository in my experience.  In any case, git is not really
suitable for email unless you really want to have a revision history for
all your emails (which would seem excessive IMO).

>> This worked very well; I moved to IMAP with gnus agent when gnus IMAP
>> support improved so dramatically in the past 6 months!  (Thanks Lars et
>> al.)
>
> I follow the emacs bzr HEAD. so I am having developemental version of
> gnus. so I would try gnus agent for IMAP.

Do try!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16