* Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-02 17:23 Michael Piotrowski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2011-03-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

It appears to me that the issue of read messages getting unmarked is not
yet completely solved, at least on XEmacs (I'm using 21.4.22).  It now
only seems to happen after some time.  I haven't been able to find out
exactly *when* this is happening, e.g., whether it depends on the number
of times I enter a group or on something else.  Over the course of
today, this happens about 5 times; I then restart Gnus, mark the
messages as read again, and then for some time it is ok.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Thanks and greetings

--
Dr.-Ing. Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                   <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt> (ID 0x1614A044)

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-02 17:37 ` Michael Strauss
From: Michael Strauss @ 2011-03-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Michael Piotrowski <mxp <at> dynalabs.de> writes:

[...]

> Is anybody else seeing this?

Yes. Exactly the same problem here. Also XEmacs 21.4.22.

Bye,
          Michael

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-02 18:34 ` Alex Romosan
From: Alex Romosan @ 2011-03-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Piotrowski; +Cc: ding

Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de> writes:

> It appears to me that the issue of read messages getting unmarked is
> not yet completely solved, at least on XEmacs (I'm using 21.4.22). It
> now only seems to happen after some time. I haven't been able to find
> out exactly *when* this is happening, e.g., whether it depends on the
> number of times I enter a group or on something else. Over the course
> of today, this happens about 5 times; I then restart Gnus, mark the
> messages as read again, and then for some time it is ok.
>
> Is anybody else seeing this?

are you using slave gnus? i saw the same behaviour when using gnus-slave
and i was told i was supposed to use (setq gnus-propagate-marks t). that
solved the problem for me.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-02 22:25   ` Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2011-03-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-02, Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov> wrote:

>> It appears to me that the issue of read messages getting unmarked is
>> not yet completely solved, at least on XEmacs (I'm using 21.4.22). It
>> now only seems to happen after some time. I haven't been able to find
>> out exactly *when* this is happening, e.g., whether it depends on the
>> number of times I enter a group or on something else. Over the course
>> of today, this happens about 5 times; I then restart Gnus, mark the
>> messages as read again, and then for some time it is ok.
>>
>> Is anybody else seeing this?
>
> are you using slave gnus?

No, I don't.

> i saw the same behaviour when using gnus-slave and i was told i was
> supposed to use (setq gnus-propagate-marks t). that solved the problem
> for me.

I played with gnus-propagate-marks, but didn't see any change in
behavior, but I'll have another look.  In any case, thanks for the
suggestion.

Greetings

--

@ 2011-03-02 22:27   ` Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2011-03-02 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-02, Michael Strauss <The.Whistler@live.de> wrote:

>> Is anybody else seeing this?
>
> Yes. Exactly the same problem here. Also XEmacs 21.4.22.

Thank you for the feedback, so it's probably not just my setup but a
general problem on XEmacs.

Greetings

--

@ 2011-03-03  0:33     ` Michael Strauss
From: Michael Strauss @ 2011-03-03  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Michael Piotrowski <mxp <at> dynalabs.de> writes:

> On 2011-03-02, Alex Romosan <romosan <at> sycorax.lbl.gov> wrote:

[...]

> > i saw the same behaviour when using gnus-slave and i was told i was
> > supposed to use (setq gnus-propagate-marks t). that solved the problem
> > for me.
>
> I played with gnus-propagate-marks, but didn't see any change in
> behavior, but I'll have another look.  In any case, thanks for the
> suggestion.

Also thanks for the suggestion but also no change in behavior.

Bye,
         Michael

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-04  4:03 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-03-04  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Mar 03 2011, Michael Piotrowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It appears to me that the issue of read messages getting unmarked is not
> yet completely solved, at least on XEmacs (I'm using 21.4.22).  It now
> only seems to happen after some time.  I haven't been able to find out
> exactly *when* this is happening, e.g., whether it depends on the number
> of times I enter a group or on something else.  Over the course of
> today, this happens about 5 times; I then restart Gnus, mark the
> messages as read again, and then for some time it is ok.
>
> Is anybody else seeing this?

I'm using regular emacs, "23.2.1", and no-gnus, and the agent, and get
this fairly often. Most recently it happened about ten minutes ago, and
I discovered afterwards that my nntp server (only that server) was
offline. Don't know if that was cause or effect…

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-04  7:31   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-03-04  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

04/03/11 05:03, Eric Abrahamsen
> On Thu, Mar 03 2011, Michael Piotrowski wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It appears to me that the issue of read messages getting unmarked is not
>> yet completely solved, at least on XEmacs (I'm using 21.4.22).  It now
>> only seems to happen after some time.  I haven't been able to find out
>> exactly *when* this is happening, e.g., whether it depends on the number
>> of times I enter a group or on something else.  Over the course of
>> today, this happens about 5 times; I then restart Gnus, mark the
>> messages as read again, and then for some time it is ok.
>>
>> Is anybody else seeing this?
>
> I'm using regular emacs, "23.2.1", and no-gnus, and the agent, and get
> this fairly often. Most recently it happened about ten minutes ago, and
> I discovered afterwards that my nntp server (only that server) was
> offline. Don't know if that was cause or effect…

I get the same thing. I bisected the offending commit to
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/77214/, but I have no
idea how to fix it.

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-04  9:19     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I see this a lot now, when reading on different gnusen, using
gnus-sync.el to sync the changes.  It's like the early days of using
gnus-sync.

I guess Ted and myself are the only ones that are using gnus-sync.el, so
it may not be the same issue as the others see.  On the other hand:
there may be something wrong deep inside gnus.

One data point: it's if stop and start a new emacs I see previously read
messages as unread.  If I leave the emacs process running and just
restart gnus, they stay unread.

Maybe some data structures aren't persisted to .newsrc.eld as they
should be?

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-04 14:42       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:19:37 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

SB> Maybe some data structures aren't persisted to .newsrc.eld as they
SB> should be?

I think so, and I'm pretty sure it's something Lars has to check.  I am,
unfortunately, not useful in finding these bugs.

Ted

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> I get the same thing. I bisected the offending commit to
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/77214/, but I have no
> idea how to fix it.

This should now hopefully be fixed.

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-05 14:36         ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2011-03-05 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:19:37 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:
>
> SB> Maybe some data structures aren't persisted to .newsrc.eld as they
> SB> should be?
>
> I think so, and I'm pretty sure it's something Lars has to check.  I am,
> unfortunately, not useful in finding these bugs.

Some info. I only use gnus-agent. The read messages were unmarked after
I restarted my No Gnus (gnus-unplugged), but if I quit and launch gnus
again, the marks seem recovered.

Kanru

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-05 16:35       ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-03-05 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

05/03/11 11:34, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I get the same thing. I bisected the offending commit to
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/77214/, but I have no
>> idea how to fix it.
>
> This should now hopefully be fixed.

It is. Thanks!

* Re: Read messages unmarked, once again
@ 2011-03-05 17:56           ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2011-03-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

> Some info. I only use gnus-agent. The read messages were unmarked after
> I restarted my No Gnus (gnus-unplugged), but if I quit and launch gnus
> again, the marks seem recovered.

Fixed in latest git commit, thanks!

Kanru