From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Anyone ever used gnus-change-server?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:54:56 +0100	[thread overview]

> Still running at 100% CPU.  I think I'll C-g gnus-change-server and
> reclaim the process.

I C-g'd gnus-change-server, exited Gnus and stopped the emacs process,
and started with a fresh emacs process.

I first started wireshark and then let it listen to port 119.

Then, in the freshly started emacs process, I ran
	M-x gnus-change-server RET

Then I let it run for approximately 21h 30min, with a CPU usage of 100%,
or near it, on the emacs process, and then I C-g'd the
gnus-change-server function, stopped the wireshark capture, and looked
at what I had.

And what I had was gnus-change-server contacting the old server and
saying this:

LIST ACTIVE no.teknologi.bil
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
no.teknologi.bil 0000065091 0000056560 y
.
LIST ACTIVE no.teknologi.bil
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
no.teknologi.bil 0000065091 0000056560 y
.
LIST ACTIVE no.alt.motorsykler
LIST ACTIVE no.sport.motorsport
LIST ACTIVE no.test
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
no.alt.motorsykler 0000033522 0000000001 y
.
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
no.sport.motorsport 0000000621 0000000523 y
.
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
no.test 0000003801 0000003258 y
.
NEWGROUPS 100131 100308 GMT
231 New newsgroups follow.
.
GROUP no.test
211 510 3258 3801 no.test
GROUP no.sport.motorsport
211 83 523 621 no.sport.motorsport
GROUP no.alt.motorsykler
211 17150 1 33522 no.alt.motorsykler
XOVER 1-4269
224 1-4269 fields follow

and then follows 16645 lines of NOV information, followed eventually
with a . on a single line.

And then nothing, except for a large CPU usage, without any perceivable
result.

The group in question has 66 ticked articles.  And Gnus already has all
the NOV information for the ticked articles.

Why is it interesting to talk to the original news server at all?
Wouldn't it be enough to contact the new server, get some NOV
information from it, and match the message ids there to the ticked
articles in the original server's group?

On second thought: I need both the ticked articles and the read articles
from the old group.  Or do I?  I only need enough of the newest read
articles of the old group to "sync up" to the same articles on the new
group.