* message-cite-function
@ 2009-04-21  4:15 Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2009-04-21  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus development list

FYI.  Changing the default value of message-cite-function from
message-cite-original to message-cite-original-without-signature
disrupted uses where the user set mail-citation-hook because
message-cite-original-without-signature doesn't look at
mail-citation-hook.

Probably too late to do anything now but thought I would whine
about the inconsistent interface.

* Re: message-cite-function
@ 2009-04-21 20:32 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-04-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Apr 21 2009, Karl Chen wrote:

> FYI.  Changing the default value of message-cite-function from
> message-cite-original to message-cite-original-without-signature
> disrupted uses where the user set mail-citation-hook because
> message-cite-original-without-signature doesn't look at
> mail-citation-hook.
>
> Probably too late to do anything now but thought I would whine
> about the inconsistent interface.

This inconsistency should only present in Gnus 5.11 bundled with Emacs
22.3 (see below).  Which versions of Gnus and Emacs are you using?

,----[ <news:87tz64tbf2.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de> ]
| From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc>
| Subject: Re: emacs-22.3 + gnus-5.11 = broken mail-citation-hook
| Newsgroups: comp.emacs
| Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:02:41 +0100
|
| [...]
|
| The missing feature in Emacs 22.3 is that
| `message-cite-original-without-signature' doesn't call
| `mail-citation-hook'.   It's a missing feature rather than a bug
| because this fact is documented:
|
| ,----[ <f1> v message-cite-function RET (Emacs 22.3) ]
| | message-cite-function is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| | Its value is
| | message-cite-original-without-signature
| |
| | Documentation:
| | *Function for citing an original message.
| | Predefined functions include `message-cite-original' and
| | `message-cite-original-without-signature'.
| | Note that `message-cite-original' uses `mail-citation-hook' if that
| | is non-nil.
| `----
|
| ,----[ <f1> v message-cite-function RET (No Gnus / Emacs 23) ]
| | message-cite-function is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| | Its value is
| | message-cite-original-without-signature
| |
| | Documentation:
| | *Function for citing an original message.
| | Predefined functions include `message-cite-original' and
| | `message-cite-original-without-signature'.
| | Note that these functions use `mail-citation-hook' if that is non-nil.
| `----
|
| > That is, backward compatibility was broken for some reason.
|
| Breaking backward compatibility certainly wasn't intended. Sorry for
| the inconvenience.
|
| But backporting the No Gnus changes to Gnus 5.10.12 seems to risky.
| But I'll add a warning to the docs:
|
| ,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") / GNUS-NEWS ]
| |        * Signatures are stripped when replying by default.  I.e. the
| |           default of `message-cite-function' has been changed to
| |           `message-cite-original-without-signature'.  *Note Insertion
| |           Variables: (message)Insertion Variables.
| |
| |           Note that in contrast to `message-cite-original',
| |           `message-cite-original-without-signature' doesn't call
| |           `mail-citation-hook'.  This incompatibility affects only this
| |           version - in Gnus 5.12 (and Emacs 23) it has been unified so
| |           that both call `mail-citation-hook'.
| `----
`----

Bye, Reiner.