* cannot start Gnus with idna.el
@ 2008-03-28 23:28 NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2008-03-28 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: ding

I noticed that recent CVS Emacs has a problem. For example, Gnus cannot
start if idna.el is installed in the load-path directory.

I found the problem under the combination of

o FreeBSD/i386 8.0-CURRENT (Jan 29 2008)
o Emacs 23.0.60 (CVS HEAD)
o No Gnus 0.7 (CVS HEAD)
o GNU Libidn 1.2

I checked out the HEAD yesterday morning (JST), bootstrapped with gcc4
and ran. And then, typed ( g n u s ) C-j in *scratch* buffer but nothing
happened.

Next, I evaled (setq debug-on-quit t) and saved the *Backtrace* which
says the breakpoint is in idna.el:idna-to-ascii-response(). I attach the
*Backtrace* file.

The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.

(defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
  (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
              (null idna-to-ascii-response))
    (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
  idna-to-ascii-response)

The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
itself occurs in

(idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

Of cource, after I removed idna.el from any directories of load-path,
the error go away. (But there is another problem with Gnus which I'd
like to report.)

Regards,

Note: this report is sent using another CVS Emacs several weeks old.
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

[-- Attachment #4: Backtrace.gnus.20080328 --]

* Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
@ 2008-05-24 12:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-24 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NAKAJI Hiroyuki; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ding, Simon Josefsson

[ Sorry for the long delay. ]

On Sat, Mar 29 2008, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:

> I noticed that recent CVS Emacs has a problem. For example, Gnus cannot
> start if idna.el is installed in the load-path directory.
>
> I found the problem under the combination of
>
> o FreeBSD/i386 8.0-CURRENT (Jan 29 2008)
> o Emacs 23.0.60 (CVS HEAD)
> o No Gnus 0.7 (CVS HEAD)
> o GNU Libidn 1.2
>
> I checked out the HEAD yesterday morning (JST), bootstrapped with gcc4
> and ran. And then, typed ( g n u s ) C-j in *scratch* buffer but nothing
> happened.
>
> Next, I evaled (setq debug-on-quit t) and saved the *Backtrace* which
> says the breakpoint is in idna.el:idna-to-ascii-response(). I attach the
> *Backtrace* file.
>
> The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.
>
> (defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
>   (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
>               (null idna-to-ascii-response))
>     (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
>   idna-to-ascii-response)

Isn't this a bug in `idna.el' then?  Cc-ing Simon therefore.

> The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
> itself occurs in
>
> (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

Does it mean, that you can reproduce the problem when evaluating this
expression after starting "emacs -Q"?

> Of cource, after I removed idna.el from any directories of load-path,
> the error go away. (But there is another problem with Gnus which I'd
> like to report.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
@ 2008-05-31 23:59   ` NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2008-05-31 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, Simon Josefsson; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ding

Thank you for the comment.

After "make maintainer-clean" in emacs/lisp directory, I successfully
bootstrapped the latest emacs. And then I'm trying this problem again.

> > The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.
> >
> > (defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
> >   (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
> >               (null idna-to-ascii-response))
> >     (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
> >   idna-to-ascii-response)

> Isn't this a bug in `idna.el' then?  Cc-ing Simon therefore.

I'm not sure.

> > The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
> > itself occurs in
> >
> > (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

> Does it mean, that you can reproduce the problem when evaluating this
> expression after starting "emacs -Q"?

No.

After starting "emacs -Q", loaded /some/where/idna.el, opened
gnus/lisp/message.el (no load of gnus) and evaluated this expression. It
was successfull.

(idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
"xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o"

Thanks.
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

* Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
@ 2009-01-01 17:03 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-01-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NAKAJI Hiroyuki; +Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding, 92

On Sat, Mar 29 2008, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:

> I noticed that recent CVS Emacs has a problem. For example, Gnus cannot
> start if idna.el is installed in the load-path directory.
>
> I found the problem under the combination of
>
> o FreeBSD/i386 8.0-CURRENT (Jan 29 2008)
> o Emacs 23.0.60 (CVS HEAD)
> o No Gnus 0.7 (CVS HEAD)
> o GNU Libidn 1.2
>
> I checked out the HEAD yesterday morning (JST), bootstrapped with gcc4
> and ran. And then, typed ( g n u s ) C-j in *scratch* buffer but nothing
> happened.
>
> Next, I evaled (setq debug-on-quit t) and saved the *Backtrace* which
> says the breakpoint is in idna.el:idna-to-ascii-response(). I attach the
> *Backtrace* file.
>
> The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.
>
> (defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
>   (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
>               (null idna-to-ascii-response))
>     (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
>   idna-to-ascii-response)
>
> The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
> itself occurs in
>
> (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

I can't reproduce thin on GNU/Linux.  AFAICS, there's nothing wrong in
Gnus.  I guess you can reproduce the problem without Gnus:

  emacs -Q -l /path/to/idna.el

  In *scratch*, eval:

  (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

If idna-to-ascii-response inf-loops, it's a bug in idna.el, the idn
program or Emacs' process handling on FreeBSD.
CC-ing Simon Josefsson, the author of idna.el and libidn.

> Of cource, after I removed idna.el from any directories of load-path,
> the error go away. (But there is another problem with Gnus which I'd
> like to report.)

Bye, Reiner.

* Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
@ 2009-01-01 18:14   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-01-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NAKAJI Hiroyuki; +Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding, 92

On Thu, Jan 01 2009, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 29 2008, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
[...]
>> The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.
>>
>> (defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
>>   (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
>>               (null idna-to-ascii-response))
>>     (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
>>   idna-to-ascii-response)
>>
>> The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
>> itself occurs in
>>
>> (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
>
> I can't reproduce thin on GNU/Linux.  AFAICS, there's nothing wrong in
> Gnus.  I guess you can reproduce the problem without Gnus:
>
>   emacs -Q -l /path/to/idna.el
>
>   In *scratch*, eval:
>
>   (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
>
> If idna-to-ascii-response inf-loops, it's a bug in idna.el, the idn
> program or Emacs' process handling on FreeBSD.
> CC-ing Simon Josefsson, the author of idna.el and libidn.

Sorry, the entry in the emacs bug database didn't contain the
following message:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1933 bytes --]

From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@jp.freebsd.org>
To: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 08:59:26 +0900

Thank you for the comment.

After "make maintainer-clean" in emacs/lisp directory, I successfully
bootstrapped the latest emacs. And then I'm trying this problem again.

> > The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.
> >
> > (defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
> >   (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
> >               (null idna-to-ascii-response))
> >     (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
> >   idna-to-ascii-response)

> Isn't this a bug in `idna.el' then?  Cc-ing Simon therefore.

I'm not sure.

> > The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
> > itself occurs in
> >
> > (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

> Does it mean, that you can reproduce the problem when evaluating this
> expression after starting "emacs -Q"?

No.

After starting "emacs -Q", loaded /some/where/idna.el, opened
gnus/lisp/message.el (no load of gnus) and evaluated this expression. It
was successfull.

(idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
"xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o"

Thanks.
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

I don't understand why it fails in message.el:

(defcustom message-use-idna (and (condition-case nil (require 'idna)
				   (file-error))
				 (mm-coding-system-p 'utf-8)
				 (executable-find idna-program)
				 (string= (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
					  "xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o")
				 t)

Bye, Reiner.

* Re: cannot start Gnus with idna.el
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-26  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NAKAJI Hiroyuki; +Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding, 92

>>   (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")
>>
>> If idna-to-ascii-response inf-loops, it's a bug in idna.el, the idn
>> program or Emacs' process handling on FreeBSD.
>> CC-ing Simon Josefsson, the author of idna.el and libidn.

This doesn't seem to be reproducible by anyone, so I'm closing the
report.

close 92