* Unused Gnus images
@ 2007-02-13 19:11 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-13 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, emacs-devel

The copyrights for the following images in etc/images/gnus appear to
be unknown:

  bar, dead, gnntg, important, kill-group, reverse-smile, rot13,
  unimportant

Since they appear to be unused by anything in the Emacs and/or Gnus
codebase, how about simply deleting them?

* Re: Unused Gnus images
@ 2007-02-13 22:18 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2007-02-13 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

> The copyrights for the following images in etc/images/gnus appear to
> be unknown:
>
>   bar, dead, gnntg, important, kill-group, reverse-smile, rot13,
>   unimportant
>
> Since they appear to be unused by anything in the Emacs and/or Gnus
> codebase, how about simply deleting them?

I created {un,}important, and I believe they are still used by Gnus
(see message.el).  If you missed that those two are used, maybe you
could double-check that the others aren't also used.

* Re: Unused Gnus images
@ 2007-02-14  3:53 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-02-14  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> The copyrights for the following images in etc/images/gnus appear to
> be unknown:
>
>   bar, dead, gnntg, important, kill-group, reverse-smile, rot13,
>   unimportant
>
> Since they appear to be unused by anything in the Emacs and/or Gnus
> codebase, how about simply deleting them?

gnntg is used in gnus-group.el. ChangeLog.2 suggests it was created
(under a different name?) by Luis Fernandes. (kill-group is in the
same entry)

rot13 is used in gnus-sum.el.

reverse-smile, dead were only added 2004-08-02 (are they used in a
newer version of Gnus than the one on Emacs CVS?).

bar.xpm is only referenced waay back 1997-10-21 in lisp/ChangeLog.7.

* Re: Unused Gnus images
@ 2007-02-14 13:05   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2007-02-14 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgm; +Cc: cyd, ding, emacs-devel

    GM> gnntg is used in gnus-group.el. ChangeLog.2 suggests it was
    GM> created (under a different name?) by Luis
    GM> Fernandes. (kill-group is in the same entry)

Yes, I do remember doing it. It was meant to represent an
old-fashioned paper-boy standing at the street-corner yelling "extra!
extra!".

    GM> rot13 is used in gnus-sum.el.

I may have done this one too, but I remember it being an icon of a
key rather than a doc with "rot13" on it.

However, it's been a long time.

I can say with certainty, however, that I definitely didn't do the
colour ones.

* Re: Unused Gnus images
@ 2007-02-14 17:53     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luis fernandes; +Cc: rgm, ding, emacs-devel

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

>     GM> rot13 is used in gnus-sum.el.
>
> I may have done this one too, but I remember it being an icon of a
> key rather than a doc with "rot13" on it.
>
> However, it's been a long time.

OK---I replaced rot13.xpm with a conversion of close.xpm from the
images directory.

Together with the removal of some unused images, I think this resolves
the remaining image copyrights issues.