From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: why does message-generate-headers take so long?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:43:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Andreas Seltenreich <andreas+ding@gate450.dyndns.org> writes:

> Ted Stern <dodecatheon@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone think of a reason why that routine would take so long?
>
> Hashcash.
>
>> Why is it being called twice?
>
> IIRC message conses up a scratch message buffer, but hashcash
> generation is inhibited for this one.
>
>> Is there any way to speed it up?
>
> message-generate-hashcash is a variable defined in `message.el'.
> Its value is t

I wonder whether it is a good idea to have this enabled by default
with a long mint time as 20.  Maybe we could drop the default to, say,
18 or 17?  This will still support hashcash by default, but at the
same time don't cause noticeable delays for users.  Once people start
to appreciate hashcash, and discover that the default really is too
small, they can adjust the value manually and be prepared for the
delay.

Does anyone know if SpamAssassin assign scores for hashcash cookies
based on the mint strength?  I assume that it does.  On the other
hand, it may add a sufficient large score just for the presence of a
hashcash header to make our approach work anyway.

Thoughts?  Opinions?