prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes: > This is normal, I think. Gnus computes the thousand by subtracting > the smallest article number from the largest. ok, but this is a bit unpleasant when a folder (like my inbox) has 3 messages, with numbers, say, 3, 45, 1422... it also makes completely useless the question "how many articles" when i use insert old articles: i say 1, it adds 0 messages: i should say, in the example, about 1400. can i periodically tell gnus to restart from zero, or i must, in the example above, delete messages 3 and 45 to have a better guess of message numbers? > Hm. If the cur directory is empty, and there are no cached articles, how do i know if there are cached articles? > etc., then I don't *think* that should happen. What version of Gnus > is this? Gnus v5.10.6 - debian testing. > When new messages are delivered to this maildir, do you have any > trouble reading them? Or does the misbehavior only happen when the > maildir is empty? i can *never* read inbox, with gnus: i'm using mutt for inbox, and gnus for all the rest! > That will cause article numbers to start over from 1 again. That will > interfere with the cache, the agent, and 'seen marks, which > unfortunately are not stored in backends. Also, deleting .../num > while Gnus is running could be harmful, I'm not sure. isn't there a rebuild everything, or the like? pietro