* Group buffer with user notes
@ 2004-09-19 17:06 Georges Ko
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Georges Ko @ 2004-09-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hello,

    As I have a lot of mail and news groups, I have written some quick
and dirty code to display my own notes below some groups so that I
don't have to remember things such as:

    - groups where I'm waiting some responses
    - mail I have to reply to
    - threads to follow
    - ...

    without having to enter the groups...

    Examples:

     0  1956:[3] gmane.emacs.gnus.general
                     > Thread to follow: Group buffer with user notes
     0* 1162:[3] nnml:mail.Personal
                     > Wait feed back from Mary
                     > Answer Eric's mail before 10/6

    If I hit C-c C-e on the group line (or in the Summary buffer),
I'll edit some file named the same as the group in some directory,
which contains the notes for that group...

    Has someone written something similar?

    Georges
--
 Georges Ko                     gko@gko.net                      2004-09-20
 If you are not in my white list, add [m2gko] in the subject of your mail.

* Re: Group buffer with user notes
@ 2004-09-20  5:43 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-09-20  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 sep 2004, Georges Ko wrote:

> Hello,

Yo,

> As I have a lot of mail and news groups, I have written some
> quick and dirty code to display my own notes below some groups
> so that I don't have to remember things such as:
>
> - groups where I'm waiting some responses
> - mail I have to reply to
> - threads to follow
> - ...
>
> without having to enter the groups...
>
> Examples:
>
> 0  1956:[3] gmane.emacs.gnus.general
> > Thread to follow: Group buffer with user notes
> 0* 1162:[3] nnml:mail.Personal
> > Wait feed back from Mary
> > Answer Eric's mail before 10/6
>
> If I hit C-c C-e on the group line (or in the Summary buffer),
> I'll edit some file named the same as the group in some
> directory, which contains the notes for that group...
>
> Has someone written something similar?

I have something that "log" my mail/news reading/posting into the
diary buffer.

It is something written by Sacha. Here it is:

,----
| ;; From http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/wiki/2003.05.31.php
| (defun message-to-diary ()
|   (make-diary-entry (concat
| 		     (calendar-date-string (calendar-current-date) t)
| 		     (if (message-fetch-field "newsgroups")
| 			 (concat " Sent news To: " (message-fetch-field "newsgroups"))
| 		       (concat " Sent mail To: " (message-fetch-field "to")))
| 		     " Subject: \"" (message-fetch-field "subject") "\""
|
| (add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'message-to-diary)
`----

As it is free software, you gain control other what you can do
with it ;) Test it and modify it to suit your needs.

Regards
--
      Xavier Maillard| "Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"
.0.             zedek@gnu-rox.orgz|

* Re: Group buffer with user notes
@ 2004-09-20 11:03 ` Anirudh Sasikumar
From: Anirudh Sasikumar @ 2004-09-20 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, that's a nifty idea. Actually,
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode has a similar
feature except for the fact that the notes are not accessible from the
group buffer. To quote from their page,

> Thus a note taken while visiting a gnus email message will have a
> link back to that message.

For more insight, look at planner-gnus.el.

What you have written has the potential to be used to plug planner
mode's gnus specific notes to the Group Buffer.
--
Anirudh.Sasikumar
http://www.aloofhosting.com/anisk/ - PGP Key ID: 96F81F5D

* Re: Group buffer with user notes
@ 2004-09-20 12:30 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2004-09-20 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georges Ko <gko@gko.net> writes:

>     Hello,
>
>     As I have a lot of mail and news groups, I have written some quick
> and dirty code to display my own notes below some groups so that I
> don't have to remember things such as:
>
>     - groups where I'm waiting some responses
>     - mail I have to reply to
>     - threads to follow
>     - ...
>
>     without having to enter the groups...
>
>     Examples:
>
>      0  1956:[3] gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>                      > Thread to follow: Group buffer with user notes
>      0* 1162:[3] nnml:mail.Personal
>                      > Wait feed back from Mary
>                      > Answer Eric's mail before 10/6
>
>     If I hit C-c C-e on the group line (or in the Summary buffer),
> I'll edit some file named the same as the group in some directory,
> which contains the notes for that group...
>
>     Has someone written something similar?

No, but I use PlannerMode, which, when I make a to-do item or a note
while looking at a message in Gnus, creates a hyperlink in the to-do
list that leads back to that same message. Not exactly what you are
talking about, but serves the same purpose for me.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?PlannerMode

-johnsu01

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Group buffer with user notes
@ 2004-09-20 15:59   ` Georges Ko
From: Georges Ko @ 2004-09-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anirudh Sasikumar <anirudh@anisk.8bit.co.uk> wrote:

> Wow, that's a nifty idea. Actually,
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode has a similar
> feature except for the fact that the notes are not accessible from
> the group buffer. To quote from their page,
>
>> Thus a note taken while visiting a gnus email message will have a
>> link back to that message.

    Actually, the scope of what I have in mind is not as big as
Planner Mode's; I just want to be able to input and display some text
under each group whenever I need it as a reminder of what's happening
in the groups.

> What you have written has the potential to be used to plug planner
> mode's gnus specific notes to the Group Buffer.

    What I have written is quite basic (and buggy), but it's already
usable for what I have in mind. Gnus rules!

    Georges