From: ding@daphne.gnuu.de (Thomas Hühn)
Subject: Re: should gnus-registry.el be in the manual for Oort Gnus?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:11:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Also sprach Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> - tracking of spam processor invocations

I know this isn't really spam.el-specific, but does that mean that one
could force spam.el not to register a mail with bogofilter twice?

I'm still playing around with my spam.el-configuration.
Actually I'd like to have something like this:

- new mail arrives
- fancy splitting (with spam-split at the beginning)
- spam goes into "nnml:spam", everything else into it's folder
- ham in the spam group is un-registered and moved into a suitable
  nnml-group
- spam in any "normal" group is registered and moved to spam where it
  expires

At the moment I am almost there. I have my spam-group and several
unclassified, "normal" groups. I don't classify them as ham because I
think mails in that group might be re-registered over and over again,
thus poisoning the bogofilter database. Am I correct there? I'd like to
be able to set any mark (excluding spam-mark) on mails in these groups.

Since I'm a bit lazy, I leave the spam group and they get registered
with bogofilter. But I do not move the "good" mails to a ham group to
train bogofilter with them. And now I'm ended up with 14 MB spamlist and
2.5 MB goodlist.

Am I right about that re-registering of good mails when I classify all
of my normal mail groups as ham or have I understood something wrong?

And that's where your registry comes into play? With that one could
avoid this and classify almost everything as ham groups?

BTW, the spam.el-specific part of my .gnus begins thus:

(spam-initialize)
(setq spam-install-hooks t)
;(spam-install-hooks-function)
(setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
(setq spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group t)
(require 'spam)

I think that the Info indicated that one should put in
spam-install-hooks (which resulted in an error) before you
commited your big doc patch.

So can I leave out everything except spam-initialize and
spam-use-bogofilter?

Thomas