This problem was already on this list several month ago (posted by another person): When I start Oort Gnus or press 'g' in the Groups Buffer, it needs several seconds to read the active file. Someone mailed a small patch to this list which solved this problem and put it into my local CVS where the change version stayed over the month. As I see now, this patch never made its way into the official CVS, so this problem still exists. What does this patch (attached to this email) change and why has it never been applied to the current CVS?