From: Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject: Re: nnmaildir oddities!
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:41:07 -0400	[thread overview]

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> It should work AFAIK, but I haven't used it that way for a while.  I
> also don't use splitting.

I was thinking about using an external program (TMDA) actually to do
the splitting before the messages hit Gnus.  If a new group is created
by the outside filtering program, does nnmaildir automatically notice
this?  (or, can it be made to?)

> I would have expected the backend+address:group.name format to work
> regardless of primary/secondary/foreign status.  If it doesn't, I
> think we should fix that.

I agree.  Personally the difference between the primary method and the
secondary methods is something we should get rid of in general.
Everything should be required to have the backend type, but we should
make it easier to hide the backend type from the Group list.

I think some logic which looked at what groups you had subscribed and
only showed the backend/servername if there would be a conflict (same
group name subscribed via two different servers, etc)

> I guess this won't do anything, since even if "nnmaildir:foo" could
> be used as *a* name for the group, it would be the group's canonical
> name.

> What benefit do you get from making nnmaildir primary?  Maybe there's
> another way to get that.

Well, none really.  I just thought it made sense since it was my
"primary" backend, meaning I use it all the time.

I've changed the primary backend to nnnil and moved nnmaildir to the
secondary select methods list and things are working much better now.

Messages get marked as read in the sent-(mail|news) groups, but
splitting is still messed up.  Actually, the initial splitting is
working fine, it's the respooling which is busted.  I think I'll break
out edebug and find out what's going on.

If you have any other hints/tips I'd be grateful :)

Have a nice day,

--
Josh Huber