* 0.98 amnesia
@ 1999-12-01 13:58 Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-12-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow.  This morning 0.98 forgot everything. It came up with large numbers of
unread messages in all my mail and news groups, and all groups were back to
default level.

I checked the groups that might have serious can't-afford-to-miss messages,
then caught up everything.  Now it seems not to know that I am subscribed
to any newsgroups.  I tried touching .newsrc and restarting gnus but that
didn't seem to have any effect.

The only thing I can think of that has changed since yesterday when it was
working perfectly, is that I set up some mail/news preferences in netscape
to get rid of a nagging error that it sometimes gives me.  I suspect
netscape has done something nasty to me but I'm not sure what.  Has anyone
else run into this?

Sigh.  And things were going so well...

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>

* Re: 0.98 amnesia
@ 1999-12-01 19:45 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-12-01 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> The only thing I can think of that has changed since yesterday when
> it was working perfectly, is that I set up some mail/news
> preferences in netscape to get rid of a nagging error that it
> sometimes gives me.  I suspect netscape has done something nasty to
> me but I'm not sure what.  Has anyone else run into this?

Isn't this because Netscape then perhaps makes a new .newsrc file,
which is then read by Gnus because the timestamp is newer?

Thanks for reminding me why I have this in my .gnus:

(setq gnus-startup-file "/home/graaff/.newsrc-news.tudelft.nl")

That causes the normal .newsrc file to be called
.newsrc-news.tudelft.nl, and Gnus' own file
.newsrc-news.tudelft.nl.eld. If something else writes a .newsrc file,
Gnus takes no notice.

Hans

* Re: 0.98 amnesia
@ 1999-12-02  0:30   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-12-02  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Isn't this because Netscape then perhaps makes a new .newsrc file,
> which is then read by Gnus because the timestamp is newer?

That was it.  And I found a .newsrc~ from before the change last night.
Had to read through some old stuff, but I'm back in business.  Now I
remember why I never mess with netscape mail/news.  Plaach!

> Thanks for reminding me why I have this in my .gnus:
>
> (setq gnus-startup-file "/home/graaff/.newsrc-news.tudelft.nl")
>
> That causes the normal .newsrc file to be called
> .newsrc-news.tudelft.nl, and Gnus' own file
> .newsrc-news.tudelft.nl.eld. If something else writes a .newsrc file,
> Gnus takes no notice.

Thought I had something like that too, but I've been through too many
changes in the last few months.  Not all my fixes have caught up.  Thanks
for the reminder.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>