* Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 11:15 David Porter
From: David Porter @ 1999-11-29 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

This probably isn't the best place to ask questions about mailcrypt but I'm
not sure where else to ask.  I'm using pgnus 0.96 and can't work out how to
verify PGP signatures that are received as attachments (messages sent using
mutt, for example).

Is there a way to set things up so C-c / v works for these messages?

--
David Porter
dporter@turing.une.edu.au

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 16:20 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-11-29 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you specified...
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
...in .gnus?

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 19:08   ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1999-11-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 22:11     ` David Porter
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: David Porter @ 1999-11-29 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Nov, 1999 at 07:08:34pm +0000, Graham Murray wrote:

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:
>
> > Have you specified...
> > (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
> > ...in .gnus?
>
> That will not help. Currently mailcrypt, using C-c / v will verify
> signatures which (like in this one) are part of the message. It will
> *not* work for separate mime signatures.

Okay, thanks.

So how are mailcrypt users verifying separate mime signatures?  Saving the
parts to file and running GPG manually or something?

--

@ 1999-11-29 22:56       ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-29 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> So how are mailcrypt users verifying separate mime
    David> signatures?  Saving the parts to file and running GPG
    David> manually or something?

I don't think (at least I keep hearing) that mailcrypt has any support
for MIME attachments. Period. That means you can't sign a message
with attachments or check the signature of incoming messages with a
MIME type signature. Personally, I hope this is fixed soon...

If you really want to check a signature, you could always save the
message to a file, with C-o (IIRC), then load it using mutt ;-)
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 22:56       ` Hal Snyder
From: Hal Snyder @ 1999-11-29 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Porter <dporter@turing.une.edu.au> writes:

> So how are mailcrypt users verifying separate mime signatures?  Saving the
> parts to file and running GPG manually or something?

Pretty much. In XEmacs, view MIME attachment in other buffer and
mc-decrypt or check sig there. Yuck, but I haven't fixed the code yet.
--
Hal Snyder
Vail Systems, Inc

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-11-29 23:20         ` David Porter
From: David Porter @ 1999-11-29 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Nov, 1999 at 09:56:13am +0000, Brian May wrote:

> If you really want to check a signature, you could always save the
> message to a file, with C-o (IIRC), then load it using mutt ;-)

Yeah, that's the most effective way I've come up with for dealing with it, so
far :)

--
David Porter
dporter@turing.une.edu.au

* S/MIME (was Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt)
@ 1999-11-30  0:20           ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1999-11-30  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Talking of MIME, has anybody looked at the SMIME tool (to be included
in openssl 0.9.5, they say) with a view to adding some kind of Emacs
support for S/MIME?

* Re: Verifying signatures with Mailcrypt
@ 1999-12-01 10:29       ` Turbo Fredriksson
From: Turbo Fredriksson @ 1999-12-01 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    David> On Mon, 29 Nov, 1999 at 07:08:34pm +0000, Graham Murray
    David> wrote:
    >>  Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:
    >>
    >> > Have you specified...  > (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
    >> 'mc-install-read-mode) > ...in .gnus?
    >>
    >> That will not help. Currently mailcrypt, using C-c / v will
    >> verify signatures which (like in this one) are part of the
    >> message. It will *not* work for separate mime signatures.

    David> So how are mailcrypt users verifying separate mime
    David> signatures?  Saving the parts to file and running GPG
    David> manually or something?

I once wrote some own functions that did this. It may not be pretty, but
it works... Have a look at http://www.nocrew.org/~turbo/pgp-mime.el

There's much more crap in there to, but you'll get the point :)

Noriega Clinton BATF SDI munitions AK-47 supercomputer $400 million in
gold bullion Honduras quiche kibo Peking Legion of Doom nuclear Mossad