From: Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus threads too many articles together
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:23:51 +0800	[thread overview]

[...]

    JH> I don't know the most informative way to ask this question, but
    JH> is there a way to make Gnus just thread distinct conversations
    JH> together (like Outlook.)

Do you mean you want to NOT combine messages with the same subject into
a thread, but only those that are actually related?

‘gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function’
     Gnus gathers threads by looking at ‘Subject’ headers.  This means
     that totally unrelated articles may end up in the same “thread”,
     which is confusing.  An alternate approach is to look at all the
     ‘Message-ID’s in all the ‘References’ headers to find matches.
     This will ensure that no gathered threads ever include unrelated
     articles, but it also means that people who have posted with broken
     newsreaders won’t be gathered properly.  The choice is yours—plague
     or cholera:

     ‘gnus-gather-threads-by-subject’
          This function is the default gathering function and looks at
          ‘Subject’s exclusively.

     ‘gnus-gather-threads-by-references’
          This function looks at ‘References’ headers exclusively.

     If you want to test gathering by ‘References’, you could say
     something like:

          (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
                'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)

--
Andrew Cohen