* How to set the default articles to fetch when selecting groups
@ 2023-02-15 23:15 Chen Zhaoyang
From: Chen Zhaoyang @ 2023-02-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello friends,

For now I just have a wrapper function that I have binded to RET in
gnus-group-mode-map:

(defun site/gnus-group-select-group () (interactive)
  (gnus-group-select-group 100))

to fetch only the newest 100 messages from a group. I have dug into the
manuals for a little bit but I have not found such a variable that would
let me set the default number of articles to fetch.

---
Chen Zhaoyang

* Re: How to set the default articles to fetch when selecting groups
@ 2023-02-16  8:38 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2023-02-16  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Chen Zhaoyang writes:

> Hello friends,
>
> For now I just have a wrapper function that I have binded to RET in
> gnus-group-mode-map:
>
> (defun site/gnus-group-select-group () (interactive)
>   (gnus-group-select-group 100))
>
> to fetch only the newest 100 messages from a group. I have dug into the
> manuals for a little bit but I have not found such a variable that would
> let me set the default number of articles to fetch.

Hi, as I read from the documentation of gnus-group-select-group, there
is no default number of articles to display.

I think yours is a very good solution to the problem.

--
Alberto

* Re: How to set the default articles to fetch when selecting groups
@ 2023-02-16  9:47   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-02-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding

    Alberto> Chen Zhaoyang writes:
    >> Hello friends,
    >>
    >> For now I just have a wrapper function that I have binded to RET in
    >> gnus-group-mode-map:
    >>
    >> (defun site/gnus-group-select-group () (interactive)
    >> (gnus-group-select-group 100))
    >>
    >> to fetch only the newest 100 messages from a group. I have dug into the
    >> manuals for a little bit but I have not found such a variable that would
    >> let me set the default number of articles to fetch.

    Alberto> Hi, as I read from the documentation of gnus-group-select-group, there
    Alberto> is no default number of articles to display.

    Alberto> I think yours is a very good solution to the problem.

You can do this with either per-group group parameters, or for all
groups using the `gnus-parameters' variable, via the `display'
parameter. See (info "(gnus) Group Parameters")

Robert

* Re: How to set the default articles to fetch when selecting groups
@ 2023-02-16 15:17   ` Chen Zhaoyang
From: Chen Zhaoyang @ 2023-02-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding, rpluim

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Hi, as I read from the documentation of gnus-group-select-group, there
> is no default number of articles to display.
>
> I think yours is a very good solution to the problem.

> You can do this with either per-group group parameters, or for all
> groups using the `gnus-parameters' variable, via the `display'
> parameter. See (info "(gnus) Group Parameters")
> You can do this with either per-group group parameters, or for all
> groups using the `gnus-parameters' variable, via the `display'
> parameter. See (info "(gnus) Group Parameters")

Thank you guys so much, I will try setting the group params!

--
Chen Zhaoyang