* Announcing gnus-identities
@ 2022-11-11 19:24 TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-11-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: info-gnus-english

gnus-identities

https://git.sr.ht/~trs-80/gnus-identities

"Identities" are not just separate email addresses, but entirely
separate persona (although still under the same user at the Emacs and OS
levels) whos data and configs[1] you would like to keep in completely
separate folders for whatever reason:

- Maybe you want to connect from distinct IP addresses per identity[2],
  or

- Sync the folders per identity to different locations, or

- Maybe you just prefer to have Gnus settings put away nicely according
  to XDG Base Directory Specification, instead of having them all over
  your Emacs/home directory, or

- ?

I suppose this is somewhat akin to the concept of "profiles" in browsers
like Firefox and Chromium.

This package provides a launcher to start Gnus with only one of the
identities at a time, selecting it from a list.

It also follows (by default) a folder scheme which adheres to the XDG
Base Directory Specification (unlike Gnus itself).

---

I actually wrote this some time ago, and have been using it ever since.
It has been working well for me (as far as I can tell).

Feel free to test, give feedback, etc.  Maybe someone else finds it
useful.  If anyone more knowledgeable in Gnus development notices I got
anything wrong (in particular, about locations of things), that would
also be appreciated.

Cheers,
TRS-80

[1] For email and news only. This is intended for switching Gnus init
files, not Emacs (for the latter, there is chemacs).

[2] This was my original use case. As nnimap will apparently keep a
connection alive to each server, I did not want to have all my
identities together in one instance of Gnus.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-11-11 19:27 UTC | newest]