From: Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: virtual nnvirtual
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:53:43 +0800	[thread overview]

    ESF> One possible strange behaviour I'm encountering: if I enter the
    ESF> virtual group, read a few unread articles but not all of them,
    ESF> then leave the group and come back in, the articles shown are
    ESF> not the ones that were left unread.  Not sure how to debug
    ESF> this.

    AC> And I'm zero for two now on this subject---the fix I sent you
    AC> earlier will probably hide the problem but isn't really
    AC> right. And in fact I cannot reproduce the problem on my end (I
    AC> tried with both imap and gmane combined groups).

OK, I finally have succeeded in failure :)

It's not exactly the behavior that you are seeing, but definitely an error
which may be related. It is specific to thread referral (so doesn't
explain the strange behavior above) though; with the above strange
behavior did you by any chance do thread referral before you exited the
group?

I have a trivial fix for this, although there might be a better way.
(In case you are interested: in thread referral, groups other then the
originating article's group can be searched, and so new articles can be
found that aren't part of the original nnselect selection; these
articles are added to the selection and all the marks, read/unread,
active, etc. are updated. This won't work for the nnvirtual case because
we aren't saving the selection list to the newsrc. Consequently the next
time you enter the group all the mark lists and read/unread, etc contain
references to articles that aren't part of the group which can lead to
errors. )

Best,
Andy
--