* Searching backends
@ 2016-01-11  5:36 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2016-01-11  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello world,

Is mairix the state of the art in search backends for gnus these days?
Urged by a friend, I spent some time kicking the tires of mu4e earlier
today. I've been using gnus for twenty years; I don't think mu4e is
going to work for me. But fast searching across my entire email corpus
(of roughly 270,000 messages) sure was nice.

I've tried and failed to get mairix working a couple of times in the
past. I tried again this evening with more success (though I'm still
doing something wrong based on the behavior I'm seeing).

Before I spend more time trying to figure it out, or composing
messages to ask y'all to tell me how I'm being stupid this time, I
thought I'd just check and see if I should be doing something else
instead.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Thou shalt not pray to Zeus for things
http://nwalsh.com/            | your usual god would laugh at.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Searching backends
@ 2016-01-11  6:14 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman writes:

> But fast searching across my entire email corpus (of roughly 270,000
> messages) sure was nice.

How do you store/access your email?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Actually I counted 37 installs/reformats, but I did         Adam Sjøgren
  it. I installed gentoo succesfully with the help of    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Searching backends
@ 2016-01-11 14:27   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2016-01-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> But fast searching across my entire email corpus (of roughly 270,000
>> messages) sure was nice.
>
> How do you store/access your email?

It's all local in nnml.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The highest preeminence in any one
http://nwalsh.com/            | study commonly arises from the
                              | concentration of the attention and
                              | faculties on that one study. He who
                              | expects from a great name in politics,
                              | in philosophy, in art, equal greatness
                              | in other things, is little versed in
                              | human nature.--Hazlitt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Searching backends
@ 2016-01-11 15:50     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>>> But fast searching across my entire email corpus (of roughly 270,000
>>> messages) sure was nice.

>> How do you store/access your email?

> It's all local in nnml.

Then I recommend looking into notmuch¹, for which Gnus/nnir has built-in
support² as well.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ https://notmuchmail.org/ (it also has its own Emacs UI - I prefer Gnus)
² http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_108.html#Setting-up-nnir

--
 "Your editor, having been blissfully unaware of the          Adam Sjøgren
  scourge of unnecessary calculators just waiting for    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Searching backends
@ 2016-01-11 18:46       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2016-01-11 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: asjo, ding

January, 11 at 16:50 Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Norman writes:

>>> How do you store/access your email?
>
>> It's all local in nnml.
>
> Then I recommend looking into notmuch¹, for which Gnus/nnir has built-in
> support² as well.

Hi Norm,

I am using notmuch as well for searching. I miss a more friendly
interface. There is been this post about using recoll with avy that
seems interesting.

http://oremacs.com/2015/07/27/counsel-recoll/

Ivan
--
For every person who wants to teach there are approximately thirty who
don't want to learn - much.