From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Trying to prune the registry because it's full; apply: registry max-size limit reached
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:57:35 +0800	[thread overview]

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> just now when I wanted to enter this group, I got the error message
>
>   Trying to prune the registry because it's full
>   apply: registry max-size limit reached
>
> with this backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered: ((cl-assertion-failed (not (registry-full db)) "registry max-size limit reached"))
>   cl--assertion-failed((not (registry-full db)) "registry max-size limit reached" nil nil)
>   registry-insert([eieio-class-tag--registry-db "~/.gnus.d/.gnus.registry.eieio" 0.2 10000 0.1...])
>   gnus-registry-insert( "<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>" ((creation-time (21784 58735 12080 293000)) (group) (sender) (subject)))
>   gnus-registry-get-or-make-entry("<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>")
>   gnus-registry-get-id-key("<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>" group)
>   gnus-registry-register-message-ids()
>   run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
>   apply(run-hooks gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
>   gnus-run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
>   gnus-summary-prepare()
>   gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.clojure" nil t nil nil nil)
>   gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.clojure" nil t nil nil nil nil)
>   gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
>   gnus-group-select-group(nil)
>   gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group nil nil)
>   command-execute(gnus-topic-select-group)
>

> My registry-related settings are just
>
> (setq gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("^nntp" t) ("^nndraft" t)
>                                      ("^nnir" t)
>                                      ("training" t) ("Junk" t)
>                                      ("Trash" t) ("Spam" t))
>       ;; Don't track anything except for the message ids.
>       gnus-registry-track-extra nil
>       gnus-registry-max-entries 10000)
>
> (gnus-registry-initialize)
>
> I had thought that with a maximum number of entries, as soon as I hit
> it, the registry would prune the oldest entries to regain some space.
> But according to the messages, it seems that pruning didn't succeed.

This is related to a change I made recently. What used to happen was --
assuming max entries of 10000 and a prune factor of 0.1 -- every time
the registry exceeded 9000 (not 10000), it would prune. That wasn't what
was supposed to happen: it was supposed to hit 10000 and then prune back
to 9000.

A few days ago I changed it so that it really did reach its max size
before pruning. Obviously something isn't quite aligned right. I'm
assuming some sort of off-by-one error: we're using #'< where we should
be using #'<=, or something like that.

Hang on a second, and I'll test this again...

Eric