* Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-02  5:23 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-02  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In my '.gnus.el' I have two pop3 accounts with the same ISP, and
they are shown like this -
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
                                        (nnimap "sharons"
                                                (nnimap-address "mail.gandi.net")
                                                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
												(nnimap-server-port 993)
							                    (nnimap-stream ssl))
									    (nnimap "tgmeds"
                                                (nnimap-address "mail.gandi.net")
											    (nnimap-inbox "INBX")
                                                (nnimap-server-port 993)
									            (nnimap-stream ssl))
                                        )
        gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
They both get emails, but they only seem to be arriving from the
first account.

This is part of my ".authinfo"
machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly
machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly
which looks weird but they really do have both pop3 and smtp set to
mail.gandi.net! See https://wiki.gandi.net/en/mail/standard-settings
for verification of this.

How can I get both accounts getting only their own emails please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.16

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-02 15:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly

Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
...." respectively?

  Best regards,

     Adam

--
 "There are slight differences between the two, but           Adam Sjøgren
  ultimately the choice between them is largely a        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-02 18:06   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly
>
> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
> ...." respectively?

I don't know, I thought the mantra was
╭────
│machine pop3 login user@foobar.org.uk password admin
│machine smtp login user@foobar.org.uk password admin
╰────
and in this case both "pop3" and "smtp" both go to "mail.gandi.net"!

@ 2014-05-02 20:08     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-02 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
>>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly

>> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
>> ...." respectively?

> I don't know, I thought the mantra was

Did you try the suggestion?

"machine" is kind of misleading in the context, arguably, but think
about it: How should Gnus know which .authinfo line to use for which
account, if not for that field matching the server name in your Gnus
configuration?

> and in this case both "pop3" and "smtp" both go to "mail.gandi.net"!

Sure, but .authinfo does not define where Gnus fetches from/sends stuff.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Denial springs eternal."                                    Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-02 20:56       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-02 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>>> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
>>> ...." respectively?
>
>> I don't know, I thought the mantra was
>
> Did you try the suggestion?

I have done now and it made no difference, still getting one unified
mailbox, although this is how parts of my ".authinfo" look -
machine sharons mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
machine sharons mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly
machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly

I "read" the instructions back into Gnus, and then did a "restart
Gnus", but no difference.

> "machine" is kind of misleading in the context, arguably, but think
> about it: How should Gnus know which .authinfo line to use for which
> account, if not for that field matching the server name in your Gnus
> configuration?

I always thought that it picked it up from the email address that
was used.

@ 2014-05-03  8:42         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I always thought that it picked it up from the email address that
> was used.

But the email address isn't specified in the select method(s), so that
isn't possible.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "'What-you-see-is-what-you-get' is Motherhood and            Adam Sjøgren
  Apple Pie for screen editors, and EMACS definitely     asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03  9:28           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-03  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> I always thought that it picked it up from the email address that
>> was used.
>
> But the email address isn't specified in the select method(s), so that
> isn't possible.

But it is in the '.authinfo', here
machine sharons mail.gandi.net login *sharon@sharons.org.uk* password foobar
machine sharons mail.gandi.net login *sharon@sharons.org.uk* password foobar
machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login *sharon@tgmeds.org.uk* password hrumph
The ones in-between the * and * is the email address for each
account, and the email address is the same as the User-ID for each
account. It works in "claws-mail" but I can't get it working in
Gnus, and its so frustrating :(.

As it stands atm, I get this error message when I start Gnus -
Warning: Opening nnimap server on tgmeds...failed: NO
(AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Authentication failed.;
Opening nnimap server on sharons...failed: NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Authentication
failed.
But the password for each account is provided in '.authinfo'!

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.18

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03 10:10             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> But the email address isn't specified in the select method(s), so that
>> isn't possible.

> But it is in the '.authinfo', here
> machine sharons mail.gandi.net login *sharon@sharons.org.uk* password foobar

Sure, but your login doesn't have to be the same as your email address.
For some of my accounts it is not.

> As it stands atm, I get this error message when I start Gnus -
> Warning: Opening nnimap server on tgmeds...failed: NO
> (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Authentication failed.;
> Opening nnimap server on sharons...failed: NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Authentication
> failed.
> But the password for each account is provided in '.authinfo'!

Odd. Maybe I misunderstood something. Sorry.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Repetition is the death of magic."                          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03 21:53   ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-03 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

On 2014-05-02 17:25 Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly
>
> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
> ...." respectively?

FWIW, I do also specify the imap / smtp server in the machine field.

Sharon, I have one additional field in my authinfo specifying the port
which is to be used. I do not know the pop3 port from the top of my
head, but for imap its "port 587" for example.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03 22:15     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-03 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon, I have one additional field in my authinfo specifying the port
> which is to be used. I do not know the pop3 port from the top of my
> head, but for imap its "port 587" for example.

Uhm, port 587 is the submission port ("smtp for mail clients").

pop3 is port 110, pop3s is 995.

imap3 is port 220, imaps is 993.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Man ser gubbar"                                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03 22:16       ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-03 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

On 2014-05-04 00:15 Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sharon, I have one additional field in my authinfo specifying the port
>> which is to be used. I do not know the pop3 port from the top of my
>> head, but for imap its "port 587" for example.
>
> Uhm, port 587 is the submission port ("smtp for mail clients").

Sorry, my bad, looked at the wrong line. Thanks for catching this!

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-03 22:30     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-03 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2014-05-02 17:25 Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
>>> machine mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password orangejelly

>> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
>> ...." respectively?

> FWIW, I do also specify the imap / smtp server in the machine field.

This works for me:

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
                                        (nnimap "mcom"      (nnimap-address "imap.mcom.com"))
                                        (nnimap "gmail"     (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
                                        (nnimap "outlook"   (nnimap-address "imap-mail.outlook.com"))
                                        (nnimap "koldfront" (nnimap-address "mail.koldfront.dk"))))

and in .authinfo:

  machine mcom login asjo@mcom.com password secret port imap
  machine gmail login asjoegren@gmail.com password secret imap
  machine outlook login asjo@outlook.com password secret imap
  machine koldfront login irene password secret port imap

So I'm pretty sure that the server name in Gnus is matched with the
machine field in .authinfo.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Plasmids are circular bits of DNA that bacteria             Adam Sjøgren
  treat like Pokemon - trading with their friends        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-04  8:23       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-04  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Shouldn't those lines say "machine sharons ...." and "machine tgmeds
>>> ...." respectively?
>
>> FWIW, I do also specify the imap / smtp server in the machine field.
>
> This works for me:
>
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
>                                         (nnimap "mcom"      (nnimap-address "imap.mcom.com"))
>                                         (nnimap "gmail"     (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
>                                         (nnimap "outlook"   (nnimap-address "imap-mail.outlook.com"))
>                                         (nnimap "koldfront" (nnimap-address "mail.koldfront.dk"))))
>
> and in .authinfo:
>
>   machine mcom login asjo@mcom.com password secret port imap
>   machine gmail login asjoegren@gmail.com password secret imap
>   machine outlook login asjo@outlook.com password secret imap
>   machine koldfront login irene password secret port imap
>
> So I'm pretty sure that the server name in Gnus is matched with the
> machine field in .authinfo.

Thanks very much for this Adam. Using this code as a template I've
been able to get both of my gandi accounts to get their own
individual emails, completely separate from each other! Brilliant,
now to try it on yahoo mail :)

Thanks again Adam.
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.19

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-04  9:45         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Thanks very much for this Adam. Using this code as a template I've
> been able to get both of my gandi accounts to get their own
> individual emails, completely separate from each other!

So what is different now, from the first time I suggested that solution,
you tried it, and it didn't work?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It isn't modern just because it's electric. Country         Adam Sjøgren
  music was electric too."                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Problems with "gandi.net"
@ 2014-05-04 18:17           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-04 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks very much for this Adam. Using this code as a template I've
>> been able to get both of my gandi accounts to get their own
>> individual emails, completely separate from each other!
>
> So what is different now, from the first time I suggested that solution,
> you tried it, and it didn't work?

OK, this what I had in my ".gnus.el", since commented out
;; (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
;;                                         (nnimap "sharons"
;;                                                 (nnimap-address "mail.gandi.net")
;;                                                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
;; 												(nnimap-server-port 993)
;; 							                    (nnimap-stream ssl))
;; 										(nnimap "gmail"
;; 										        (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
;;                                                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
;;                                                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
;;                                         (nnimap "tgmeds"
;;                                                 (nnimap-address "mail.gandi.net")
;; 											    (nnimap-inbox "INBX")
;;                                                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
;; 									            (nnimap-stream ssl))
;;                                         )
;; 	  gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

and this is what was in my ".authinfo"
#machine sharons mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password orangejelly
#machine sharons mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password orangejelly
#machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard
#machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard

Every time this was run it asked me for its password as user
"boudiccas" which does not exist for either account, and would not
accept any password I put in for it. Consequently I was locked out
of both accounts, until I took out the "sharons & tgmeds"
immediately after machine, and then I had access to mail from
"sharons.org" again.

That is how my set-up was, and why it didn't work. With your setup it
all works as it should, and I thank you for it.

@ 2014-05-04 19:11             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-04 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> and this is what was in my ".authinfo"
> #machine sharons mail.gandi.net login sharon@sharons.org.uk password orangejelly
[...]
> #machine tgmeds mail.gandi.net login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard

Ok, so this was the problem. You should have _replaced_ "mail.gandi.net"
with "sharons" and "tgmeds" respectively.

I.e. your .authinfo lines should have read:

  machine sharons login sharon@sharons.org.uk password orangejelly
  [...]
  machine tgmeds login sharon@tgmeds.org.uk password rhubarbandcustard

etc. Adding an extra "word" to each line probably made the information
totally inaccessible/scrambled :-)

Ok, good, mystery solved!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "But we are stubborn."                                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk