From: asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren)
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Getting started: splitting mail, SMIME, local copies
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:28:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:02:43 -0500 (EST), bromley@lavabit.com wrote:

>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

> That's great, but gnus won't connect to the IMAP server if I set the
> above. How can I initialize a connection?

You aren't giving us much information to go on...

You added an imap entry to mail-sources? You added a local mail-server
to gnus-secondary-select-methods (for instance nnml)?

At work I use IMAP-as-POP, and have a setup that looks like this:

    ; No primary server:
    (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

    ; Get email, and store in nnml:
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

    ; Mail sources:
    (setq mail-sources '((file)
                         (imap :server "something.example.com"
                               :stream ssl
                               :fetchflag "\\Seen"
                               )))

I would guess that is pretty close to what you need?

For archiving outgoing messages I use this:

    ; Archive outgoing email in nnml+archive:(mail|news)-{year}:
    (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                             (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                             (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                                             (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                             (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
    (setq gnus-message-archive-group
          '((if (message-news-p)
                (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
              (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

I use fancy splitting; a simplified version of my setup is:

    (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
    (setq nnmail-split-fancy
          '(|
            ("x-trac-project" "SomeProject" "trac.someproject")
            ("x-trac-project" "AnotherProject" "trac.anotherproject")
            ("Subject" "Spam: .*" "spam")
            ("Subject" ".*\\[Commits\\].*" "commits.git")
            (: (lambda ()
                 (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))
            ("Content-class" "urn:content-classes:calendarmessage" "kalender")
            ("From" "Bacula <root@localhost>.*" "bacula")
            ("X-Cron-Env" ".*" "cron")
            (any "tracadmin@example.com" "tracadmin")
            (: split-on-text-calendar-in-body "kalender")
            "normal"))

    ; Each email appears in max. one email-split group:
    (setq nnmail-crosspost nil)

(The bbdb part and the split-on-text-calendar-in-body part needs more
setup; this nnmail-split-fancy is a non-complete example).

>> Configure splitting or fancy splitting:

>> * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_177.html
>> * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_184.html

> Thanks for the links, but I've already seen them.

Then you need to ask more specific questions than "How do I split?" :-)

> These links show how splitting works using various backends as
> examples (e.g. nnml, nnimap), but I'm using
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")) and
> (setq mail-sources '((imap ...))). There are no such examples.

I think you're missing the part where you tell Gnus where, locally, you
want to store the emails that are fetched.

> 1. Changed (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")) to
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "")). (Because nnnil isn't documented.)

It is in the version I'm running:

,----
| File: gnus,  Node: The Empty Backend,  Prev: Mail-To-News Gateways,  Up: Other Sources
|
| 6.6.5 The Empty Backend
| -----------------------
|
| `nnnil' is a backend that can be used as a placeholder if you have to
| specify a backend somewhere, but don't really want to.  The classical
| example is if you don't want to have a primary select methods, but want
| to only use secondary ones:
|
|      (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
|      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|            '((nnimap "foo")
|              (nnml "")))

`----

But it has only been that way for ~2 years:

 * http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7653

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Faktum er, at Delphi er det bedste all-round                Adam Sjøgren
  værktøj, der eksisterer i dag. Og mest produktive."    asjo@koldfront.dk