* Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-24 16:56 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov

I was just thinking about using gnus-sync to synchronize my newsgroups
across computers, but then I realized (I think) that I could just keep
my .newsrc* in a Dropbox or some such.  Is there any advantage to
gnus-sync over an arrangement like that?

Thanks in advance,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-24 19:37 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-10-24 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:56:51 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> I was just thinking about using gnus-sync to synchronize my newsgroups
DA> across computers, but then I realized (I think) that I could just keep
DA> my .newsrc* in a Dropbox or some such.  Is there any advantage to
DA> gnus-sync over an arrangement like that?

The LeSync (CouchDB) backend is a bit better about synchronizing: it
won't overwrite newer data when you `s'ave the marks, and it has a
timestamped ID for every group.  So you can read some groups and only
save those, not the whole file.

Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-24 20:13   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-24 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

on Wed Oct 24 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:56:51 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> I was just thinking about using gnus-sync to synchronize my newsgroups
> DA> across computers, but then I realized (I think) that I could just keep
> DA> my .newsrc* in a Dropbox or some such.  Is there any advantage to
> DA> gnus-sync over an arrangement like that?
>
> The LeSync (CouchDB) backend is a bit better about synchronizing: it
> won't overwrite newer data when you `s'ave the marks, and it has a
> timestamped ID for every group.  So you can read some groups and only
> save those, not the whole file.

So... it'll work if I read mail on multiple machines at the same
time?  Is that the idea?

I guess I'd like to request a test DB, e.g.
http://lesync.info:5984/dabrahams

Thanks,

--

@ 2012-10-24 21:43     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-10-24 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:13:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> on Wed Oct 24 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:56:51 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>
DA> I was just thinking about using gnus-sync to synchronize my newsgroups
DA> across computers, but then I realized (I think) that I could just keep
DA> my .newsrc* in a Dropbox or some such.  Is there any advantage to
DA> gnus-sync over an arrangement like that?
>>
>> The LeSync (CouchDB) backend is a bit better about synchronizing: it
>> won't overwrite newer data when you `s'ave the marks, and it has a
>> timestamped ID for every group.  So you can read some groups and only
>> save those, not the whole file.

DA> So... it'll work if I read mail on multiple machines at the same
DA> time?  Is that the idea?

DA> I guess I'd like to request a test DB, e.g.
DA> http://lesync.info:5984/dabrahams

Sure.  I plan to redo the backend Very Soon (November) to use IMAP as
the storage mechanism, and to integrate gnus-sync with Gnus better.  Do
you want to wait for that, or try the current form?  If you want to try
it now, I'll create a DB for you!

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-24 22:41       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-24 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

on Wed Oct 24 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:13:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> on Wed Oct 24 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:56:51 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>>
> DA> I was just thinking about using gnus-sync to synchronize my newsgroups
> DA> across computers, but then I realized (I think) that I could just keep
> DA> my .newsrc* in a Dropbox or some such.  Is there any advantage to
> DA> gnus-sync over an arrangement like that?
>>>
>>> The LeSync (CouchDB) backend is a bit better about synchronizing: it
>>> won't overwrite newer data when you `s'ave the marks, and it has a
>>> timestamped ID for every group.  So you can read some groups and only
>>> save those, not the whole file.
>
> DA> So... it'll work if I read mail on multiple machines at the same
> DA> time?  Is that the idea?
>
> DA> I guess I'd like to request a test DB, e.g.
> DA> http://lesync.info:5984/dabrahams
>
> Sure.  I plan to redo the backend Very Soon (November) to use IMAP as
> the storage mechanism, and to integrate gnus-sync with Gnus better.  Do
> you want to wait for that, or try the current form?  If you want to try
> it now, I'll create a DB for you!

I guess I want to try it now, if you don't mind.

Hmm, I run a local IMAP and use mbsync.  How's that going to work with
the new backend?

--

@ 2012-10-26 12:06         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-10-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:41:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> Hmm, I run a local IMAP and use mbsync.  How's that going to work with
DA> the new backend?

It should work fine.  The flags will be in a separate mailbox and will
not apply to nnimap groups.

Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-26 16:25           ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

on Fri Oct 26 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:41:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> Hmm, I run a local IMAP and use mbsync.  How's that going to work with
> DA> the new backend?
>
> It should work fine.  The flags will be in a separate mailbox and will
> not apply to nnimap groups.

So, would I use a local imap mailbox for gnus-sync and let mbsync sync it remotely?
Or, would I use a remote imap mailbox for gnus-sync?
What will happen when I'm offline?

--

@ 2012-10-26 16:26             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-10-26 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:25:04 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> on Fri Oct 26 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:41:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>
DA> Hmm, I run a local IMAP and use mbsync.  How's that going to work with
DA> the new backend?
>>
>> It should work fine.  The flags will be in a separate mailbox and will
>> not apply to nnimap groups.

DA> So, would I use a local imap mailbox for gnus-sync and let mbsync sync it remotely?
DA> Or, would I use a remote imap mailbox for gnus-sync?
DA> What will happen when I'm offline?

When I write it, I'll tell you how it behaves :)

Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-26 16:28               ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ok. How does the lesync backen behave when I'm offline? Sorry for all the questions…

Sent from my Q-42 Space Modulator

On Oct 26, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:25:04 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> on Fri Oct 26 2012, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:41:10 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>>
> DA> Hmm, I run a local IMAP and use mbsync.  How's that going to work with
> DA> the new backend?
>>>
>>> It should work fine.  The flags will be in a separate mailbox and will
>>> not apply to nnimap groups.
>
> DA> So, would I use a local imap mailbox for gnus-sync and let mbsync sync it remotely?
> DA> Or, would I use a remote imap mailbox for gnus-sync?
> DA> What will happen when I'm offline?
>
> When I write it, I'll tell you how it behaves :)
>
> Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-26 16:32                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-10-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:28:44 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> Ok. How does the lesync backen behave when I'm offline? Sorry for all the questions…

It craps out, but doesn't lose the flags.  They are just not uploaded,
and you get an error (the screen flashes/beeps, not too annoying).

Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-27 14:30                   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-10-27 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:28:44 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>> Ok. How does the lesync backen behave when I'm offline? Sorry for all
>> the questions…

> It craps out, but doesn't lose the flags.

Well...

> They are just not uploaded, and you get an error (the screen
> flashes/beeps, not too annoying).

...you can't upload your new marks unless you have fetched the latest
from the sync server.

So unless you're able to read the sync and keep the gnus process
running, the next time you do a sync read and then a get, all of your
read messages since the last sync will be gone.

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-10-27 14:48                     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-10-27 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:28:44 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>>> Ok. How does the lesync backen behave when I'm offline? Sorry for all
>>> the questions…

>> It craps out, but doesn't lose the flags.

> Well...

>> They are just not uploaded, and you get an error (the screen
>> flashes/beeps, not too annoying).

> ...you can't upload your new marks unless you have fetched the latest
> from the sync server.

> So unless you're able to read the sync and keep the gnus process
> running, the next time you do a sync read and then a get, all of your
> read messages since the last sync will be gone.

(no criticism intended.  The current gnus-sync is what it is, and I am
aware of its state when using it.  Also the agent+nnimap is behaving so
strangely I hardly try run in offline mode anymore)

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-12-02 16:18                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-02 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:30:48 +0200 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:28:44 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>>> Ok. How does the lesync backen behave when I'm offline? Sorry for all
>>> the questions…

>> It craps out, but doesn't lose the flags.

SB> Well...

>> They are just not uploaded, and you get an error (the screen
>> flashes/beeps, not too annoying).

SB> ...you can't upload your new marks unless you have fetched the latest
SB> from the sync server.

SB> So unless you're able to read the sync and keep the gnus process
SB> running, the next time you do a sync read and then a get, all of your
SB> read messages since the last sync will be gone.

With `C-u M-x gnus-sync-save', your marks are forcibly uploaded to the
server.

Ted

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-12-03  9:52                       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-12-03  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> With `C-u M-x gnus-sync-save', your marks are forcibly uploaded to the
> server.

Ah... I didn't know that... now I do...:-)

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2012-12-10 21:18                         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-12-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> With `C-u M-x gnus-sync-save', your marks are forcibly uploaded to
>> the server.

> Ah... I didn't know that... now I do...:-)

Hm... no... not a good idea.  Using C-u cleared out the other clients
from the marks lists on the server, so when syncing a different gnus
client, I had to sort of re-subscribe all of the groups.

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2016-03-06 20:10               ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-03-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz <at> lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:25:04 -0400 Dave Abrahams
> <dave <at> boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> So, would I use a local imap mailbox for gnus-sync and let mbsync sync
> DA> it remotely?
>
> When I write it, I'll tell you how it behaves :)

Did that rewrite ever happen?

* Re: Why gnus-sync?
@ 2016-03-07 13:37                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-03-07 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 20:10:58 +0000 (UTC) Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz <at> lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:25:04 -0400 Dave Abrahams
>> <dave <at> boostpro.com> wrote:
>>
DA> So, would I use a local imap mailbox for gnus-sync and let mbsync sync
DA> it remotely?
>>
>> When I write it, I'll tell you how it behaves :)

DA> Did that rewrite ever happen?

I haven't been able to work on it, sorry. I think Lars did some work a
while back and... I've just been overloaded with non-Gnus stuff.

Ted