* Use of gnutls-cli breaks new verizon setting
@ 2012-01-06  5:28 Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2012-01-06  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Verizon recently (finally!) announced support, soon to be required, for SSL on POP3 and SMTP.  However things are weird.  I did not have gnutls-cli on my system, so the pop3 setting found openssl and that worked fine.  Smtpmail seems to insist on using gnutls-cli, with no option for openssl.  So I installed gnutls-cli and things break.

For pop3, it's called as

gnutls-cli -p 995 --insecure incoming.verizon.net

And for some reason, I get an error that my user is invalid.  But if I set a debug-on-entry for pop3-logon and step through, it works fine.  Seems like some odd race condition.

For smtpmail, it's called as

gnutls-cli -s -p 465 outgoing.verizon.net

and this just hangs.  If I do that at the command line, I see why - it connects to the server and prints a message saying "simple client mode" but no banner from the server.  If I remove the -s, I get the banner from the server.  However the -s is hardcoded into starttls.el.  Why?  Do I need it?  While I'd prefer to not have a locally hacked file or function definition, if that's what I have to do I will but if that can be made optional, it would be nice.

For what it's worth, I am on

emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
Its value is "23.1.1"

on Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks for any advice.
--