* IMAP on Windows
@ 2011-09-22  8:10 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-09-22  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm trying to use Gnus for an IMAP server here.  However, when I
connect, Emacs echoes that it's connecting and then it says "done" and
from there, nothing happens.  I have to hit C-g to get anywhere, which
gives me "nnimap (fripost) open error: ''. Continue? (y or n)".

I'm using:
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2011-09-19 on 3249CTO and
Gnus v5.13

This is my Gnus configuration:

;; Who I am
(setq user-mail-address "deniz@dogan.se")
(setq user-full-name "Deniz Dogan")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mailout.comhem.se")
(setq gnus-select-method
       '(nnimap "fripost"
            (nnimap-address "imap.fripost.org")
            (nnimap-server-port 993)
            (nnimap-stream ssl)
            (nnimap-authenticator login)))

I don't have any authentication information stored anywhere, but I
figured Gnus should probably prompt me for it?

This is the output in *Messages*:

Opening TLS connection to `imap.fripost.org'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993
imap.fripost.org'...done
Quit trying to open server nnimap+fripost
nnimap (fripost) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)  y
Saving file c:/Users/Deniz/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc-dribble...
Wrote c:/Users/Deniz/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc-dribble [2 times]
Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)  n
Opening nnimap server on fripost...
Server nnimap+fripost previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on fripost...failed:
Checking new news...
Reading active file from fripost via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on fripost...
Server nnimap+fripost previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on fripost...failed:
Checking new news...done
No Gnus is good news
Warning: Opening nnimap server on fripost...failed: ; Server
nnimap+fripost previously determined to be down; not retrying; Opening
nnimap server on fripost...failed: ; Server nnimap+fripost previously
determined to be down; not retrying; Quit trying to open server
nnimap+fripost

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Deniz

* Re: IMAP on Windows
@ 2011-09-26 19:05 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-26 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: ding

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> I'm trying to use Gnus for an IMAP server here.  However, when I
> connect, Emacs echoes that it's connecting and then it says "done" and
> from there, nothing happens.  I have to hit C-g to get anywhere, which
> gives me "nnimap (fripost) open error: ''. Continue? (y or n)".

What's in the "*nnimap log*" and " *nnimap ...*" (note leading space)
buffers if you `C-g' after this?

* Re: IMAP on Windows
@ 2011-09-26 19:59 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-09-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:10:18 +0200 Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> wrote:

DD> I'm trying to use Gnus for an IMAP server here.  However, when I
DD> connect, Emacs echoes that it's connecting and then it says "done" and
DD> from there, nothing happens.  I have to hit C-g to get anywhere, which
DD> gives me "nnimap (fripost) open error: ''. Continue? (y or n)".

Note you're using gnutls-cli.  Is that intentional?  The newer W32
builds of Emacs by Sean Sieger have GnuTLS enabled, which makes it much
easier to work with SSL/TLS connections.  If you could try that (make
sure you also get the gnutls DLL) it would be helpful.  Set
`gnutls-log-level' to 100 if that doesn't work for you.

Ted