* Nognus v0.17 registry problem ?
@ 2011-08-14  8:11 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-08-14  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Since updating to release v0.17, gnus wouldn't start, complaining with :

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error in ~/.gnus  : eieio-defmethod")
|   signal(error ("Error in ~/.gnus: eieio-defmethod"))
|   error("Error in %s: %s" "~/.gnus" eieio-defmethod)
|    byte-code("\303\304\b \211A@)#\207" [file var x error "Error in
| %s: %s"] 5)
|   gnus-read-init-file()
|   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
|   gnus(nil)
|   call-interactively(gnus t nil)
|   execute-extended-command(nil)
|   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
`----

I could get gnus to launch by commenting out all lines (see at the end
of this post) relative to the registry in .gnus.el but I've no idea what
causes the problem. I'm running Gnus in 24.0.50.1 on Linux.

Here are the lines commented out :

;; (setq gnus-registry-install t)
;; (require 'gnus-registry)
;; (gnus-registry-initialize)

this fancy split rule :
;; (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)

and this line :
;; (setq spam-log-to-registry t)

Julien.

* Re: Nognus v0.17 registry problem ?
@ 2011-08-14 10:37 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-08-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles writes:
> Since updating to release v0.17, gnus wouldn't start, complaining with :
>
> ,----
> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error in ~/.gnus  : eieio-defmethod")

You probably have an old EIEIO floating around somewhere. You should
update to the latest Emacs-bzr snapshot, and if you're using CEDET, you
should upate that one to the latest bzr version as well and load it
first in your .emacs. Then recompile everything.

-David

* Re: Nognus v0.17 registry problem ?
@ 2011-08-14 13:10   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-08-14 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles writes:
>> Since updating to release v0.17, gnus wouldn't start, complaining with :
>>
>> ,----
>> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error in ~/.gnus  : eieio-defmethod")
>
> You probably have an old EIEIO floating around somewhere.
I doubt it since I have Emacs 23.2 and 24.0 installed and the problem
arises when I run NoGnus v0.17 from Emacs 24.0, not from Emacs 23.2?

> You should update to the latest Emacs-bzr snapshot

I might give it a try though, and let you know if it fixes it.

@ 2011-08-14 14:29     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-08-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> Julien Cubizolles writes:
>>> Since updating to release v0.17, gnus wouldn't start, complaining with :
>>>
>>> ,----
>>
>> You probably have an old EIEIO floating around somewhere.
> I doubt it since I have Emacs 23.2 and 24.0 installed and the problem
> arises when I run NoGnus v0.17 from Emacs 24.0, not from Emacs 23.2?

With which version did you compile Gnus? I'm guessing with the Emacs23.2
one, which could explain the above error because I think the EIEIO from
Emacs23.2 is not compatible with Emacs24 (while byte-code from older
versions should be compatible, at least I noticed some problems after
the lexbind merge in this area).

>> You should update to the latest Emacs-bzr snapshot
>
> I might give it a try though, and let you know if it fixes it.

You could first try if compiling with Emacs24 fixes your problem.

-David

* Re: Nognus v0.17 registry problem ?
@ 2011-08-16 17:16       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-08-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> You could first try if compiling with Emacs24 fixes your problem.
It did, thanks !

Julien.