From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
To: Ronan Keryell <Ronan.Keryell@hpc-project.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org, bugs@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Loosing mails by merging
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:01:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 24 2009, Ronan Keryell wrote:

>     Reiner> You're talking about doing something like `G f GNUS-bug.mbox
>     Reiner> RET' (gnus-group-make-doc-group), right?
>
> Not only.
>
>     Reiner> Use `C-u G f m GNUS-bug.mbox RET' instead.
>
>     Reiner> When catting your sample file to $MAIL, I get the expected
>     Reiner> result.
>
> Yes, with this I can read my mail correctly as a mbox format.
>
> So the good news is that GNUS can do it. :-)
>
> The bad news is that means that G f does not guess the good format.

That's a known problem because it not possible to do it correct in any
case, IIRC.

> The very bad news for me is that I have this issue on my normal mail,
> not only file group.

If you cat your sample file to $MAIL, say ...

  cat GNUS-bug.mbox >> /var/mail/you

... do you get 2 messages or 1 after `g'?

I get 2 as expected.

> I get my mail with some:
> (setq mail-sources '(
> 		     ;; Pick mail in the local mail repository,
> 		     ;; if mail is lost here or droped by other means...
> 		     (file)

Try with a simple setup like ...

  (setq mail-sources '((file)))

... first.

> 		     ;; get some remote mail in the local mail repository:
> 		     (file :prescript "fdm -l -v fetch")
> 		     ;; Pick mail in the central mail repository:
> 		     (file :prescript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --fetch >%t"
> 			   :postscript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --archive")
>  		     ))
>
> So basically almost everything lands into my /var/mail/keryell and is
> digested by Gnus. But then this bug means that it is not read with the
> correct mbox format?
>
> I've read again the "Mail Source Specifiers" section and around of the
> manual and there is no way to enforce the format as being a mbox one...

It should work by default.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,