* Exporting/archiving nnml group?
@ 2007-11-06 12:17 Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2007-11-06 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi list!

Is there a proper way for exporting nnml group back to mailbox format
for archiving purposes?

Thank you for any help!
--
Zlatko

* Re: Exporting/archiving nnml group?
@ 2007-11-06 14:56 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-11-06 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

Hi Zlatko,

> Is there a proper way for exporting nnml group back to mailbox format
> for archiving purposes?

You can create a mbox group with

  M-x gnus-group-make-group RET name RET nnmbox RET

in *Group*.  Then enter the nnml group, mark all messages with `M P b'
and copy them to the mbox with `B c nnmbox:name RET'.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Exporting/archiving nnml group?
@ 2007-11-06 21:15   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-06 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Nov 06 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> You can create a mbox group with
>
>   M-x gnus-group-make-group RET name RET nnmbox RET
>
> in *Group*.

This part is not necessary.

> Then enter the nnml group, mark all messages with `M P b' and

`<menu-bar> <Article> <Output> <Save in Unix mail format...>'

,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
`----

> copy them to the mbox with `B c nnmbox:name RET'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Exporting/archiving nnml group?
@ 2007-11-12 13:54   ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2007-11-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
> Hi Zlatko,
>
>> Is there a proper way for exporting nnml group back to mailbox format
>> for archiving purposes?
>
> You can create a mbox group with
>
>   M-x gnus-group-make-group RET name RET nnmbox RET
>
> in *Group*.  Then enter the nnml group, mark all messages with `M P b'
> and copy them to the mbox with `B c nnmbox:name RET'.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thank you Tassilo, worked like a charm!
--

@ 2007-11-12 13:59     ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2007-11-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, Nov 06 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>> You can create a mbox group with
>>
>>   M-x gnus-group-make-group RET name RET nnmbox RET
>>
>> in *Group*.
>
> This part is not necessary.

Maybe (and it looks simpler), but using 'O m' revealed 2 problems.

First, it asked me to confirm the saving location for each and every
mail it was about to append to mailbox file. Press RETURN 1879 times?
No, thank you! :) I don't know how to stop that from happenining.

Second thing (much less problematic) it marks every article as
saved. This might not be what people want when they're just making a
backup copy.

But, thanks anyway.
--

@ 2007-11-12 14:18       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-12 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Nov 12 2007, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> On Tue, Nov 06 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:
[...]
>> This part is not necessary.
>
> Maybe (and it looks simpler),

I tried to expres that this part (gnus-group-make-group) of Tassilo's
suggestion is not necessary.  I think you can simply...

>>> enter the nnml group, mark all messages with `M P b'
>>> and copy them to the mbox with `B c nnmbox:name RET'.

> but using 'O m' revealed 2 problems.
>
> First, it asked me to confirm the saving location for each and every
> mail it was about to append to mailbox file. Press RETURN 1879 times?
> No, thank you! :) I don't know how to stop that from happenining.

How about reading the info node that I have cited?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
`----

> Second thing (much less problematic) it marks every article as
> saved. This might not be what people want when they're just making a
> backup copy.

Hm, I don't think we have a user interface to (un)set secondary marks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Exporting/archiving nnml group?
@ 2007-11-13  0:19         ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2007-11-13  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Mon, Nov 12 2007, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> On Tue, Nov 06 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> [...]
>>> This part is not necessary.
>>
>> Maybe (and it looks simpler),
>
> I tried to expres that this part (gnus-group-make-group) of Tassilo's
> suggestion is not necessary.  I think you can simply...

Ah, OK, it wasn't completely clear which part exactly you were
pointing to.

>> but using 'O m' revealed 2 problems.
>>
>> First, it asked me to confirm the saving location for each and every
>> mail it was about to append to mailbox file. Press RETURN 1879 times?
>> No, thank you! :) I don't know how to stop that from happenining.
>
> How about reading the info node that I have cited?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
> | If you save bunches of articles using these
> | functions, you might get tired of being prompted for files to save each
> | and every article in.  The prompting action is controlled by the
> | `gnus-prompt-before-saving' variable, which is `always' by default,
> | giving you that excessive prompting action you know and loathe.  If you
> | set this variable to `t' instead, you'll be prompted just once for each
> | series of articles you save.  If you like to really have Gnus do all
> | your thinking for you, you can even set this variable to `nil', which
> | means that you will never be prompted for files to save articles in.
> | Gnus will simply save all the articles in the default files.
> `----

Oh, well, it's easy tunable after all. I see another line in my .gnus ;)

Thank you!

And in the end, pardon me from being ignorant. I really do plan to
reread the manual and relearn some stuff I've managed to forget
through years. It's just that there's so little free time for quality
stuff like that. :(

And that is also the exact reason why I'm grateful to you and
everybody else with more experience on this list that is actively
helping people (like me). Gnus can be overhelming...

Best regards,
--
Zlatko
happy Gnus user for a decade (slightly lost at times :))