From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
Subject: Re: gmane spam reporting problems moving between networks (Was: nntp problems with hibernating and waking up in a new network)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:38:52 +0200	[thread overview]

For those who may be interested: The problems indicated by the
subjects of this message, have gone away with Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake
(they were present in Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger).

To summarize the two old threads:
 I had a problem connecting to nntp servers and and to nnimap servers
 that weren't secure, after unplugging Gnus, hibernating the laptop,
 and waking it up again in a different network and plugging in Gnus.

It was determined that this probably was caused by GNU Emacs/libc
caching the DNS server present when Emacs was started.  That's why
secure imap worked, because that backend talked to the server through
a separate process that was started everytime Gnus connected to the
server.

This gave me a workaround for nntp servers, ie. I could do stuff like
this in the server settings:
  	(nntp "news.gmane.org"
 	      (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-telnet-stream)
 	      (nntp-end-of-line "\n"))

Later I noticed a related problem in the spam reporting for gmane (the
subject of this thread).  It only worked in the network the Emacs
process was originally started in (or at least with the DNS server
having the same address as in that network).

During the summer I suddenly discovered that the problem no longer
seemed to be present for Gmane spam reporting, and for unsecure
nnimap.

So now I've removed the nntp workarounds as well, and it works
perfectly.

I saw this problem on a previous laptop with debian sarge, and I saw
it on the current laptop with Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger.

Sarge has the following versions of libc and GNU Emacs:
 libc6:		2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3
 emacs21: 	21.4a-1

Breezy has the following versions of libc and GNU Emacs:
 libc6:		2.3.5-1ubuntu12
 emacs21: 	21.4a-1ubuntu1

Dapper has the following versions of libc and GNU Emacs:
 libc6:		2.3.6-0ubuntu20
 emacs21: 	21.4a-3ubuntu2

The Emacs version seems to be the same all around, so presumably the
big difference is in GNU libc...?  But whether it has been fixed in
the upstream libc or in Ubuntu patches, I have no idea.