From: Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: No Gnus don't get new articles after server change.
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:23:07 -0500	[thread overview]

Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> writes:

> I use No Gnus (CVS checkout now from a few days ago) on GNU Emacs 22
> (fresh checkout too).  Some time ago my primary Usenet server
> crashed and was reinstalled, and article numbers were lost.  From
> that time on whatever I do with Gnus to rehash article numbers, it
> doesn't see new articles when offline. I.e. I start up Gnus, see all
> groups on native server caught up (no new articles) (on other NNTP
> servers I do see other articles, so do I get mail via nnmail).  When
> after some time I hit `g', Gnus gets new articles -- but only those
> that were sent after Gnus was started.  I can use groups normally
> while Gnus is on; then I quit Emacs and when I start Gnus again,
> there are no unread articles on all native groups (even if I left
> some unread ones when quitting Gnus -- those are caught-up too).

I've had similar problems lately, using a CVS snapshot from
2005.10.02.  I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything, saving
everything important from my homedir first, especially ~/News.  After
doing so, none of my gmane groups were showing new messages as unread,
though I could still browse them.

Adding (nntp-marks-is-evil t) to the options for gnus-select-method
seems to make things work.  I had tried moving my ~/News/marks folder
somewhere else, but this caused Gnus to throw the following error when
starting up.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  time-less-p((17205 37218) nil)
  nntp-marks-changed-p("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" "localhost")
  nntp-request-update-info("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" ("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" 3 ((1 . 31)) ((seen ...))) "localhost")
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("[snip]")
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp