* nnimap configuration
@ 2004-09-30 20:35 D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-09-30 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

At one time I had nnimap working, then switched to nnml, and now I'm
coming back to nnimap.  (Yes, there were reasons, but I don't want to
think about them right now. :-)) I should know a lot more about what
I'm doing this time around, but I can't for the life of me get this
working again.

I'm running Courier IMAP (3.0.7) on the same machine where I run Gnus
(CVS version from a few hours ago), and trying to connect using SSL.
Both mutt and sylpheed work fine, and I can connect running openssl
from the command line.  Furthermore, I can specify this server in
mail-sources as

(setq mail-sources
      '(<SNIP>
        (imap :server "localhost" :stream 'ssl :predicate "1:*")))

and Gnus gets the mail from it without complaint.  But if I try to use
the IMAP server normally, it's always denied.

The relevant bits of my ~/.gnus are

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "localhost"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX*")))
        (nnml "")
        (nntp "leafnode" (nntp-address "127.0.0.1"))))

(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '((nnimap "localhost"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group "nnimap+localhost:INBOX")

(setq nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")

Here's what I'm seeing in the debug buffers:

1 -> nnimap-server-opened: server="localhost"
1 <- nnimap-server-opened: nil
1 -> nnimap-open-server: server="localhost" defs=nil
| 2 -> nnimap-server-opened: server="localhost"
| 2 <- nnimap-server-opened: nil
| 2 -> nnimap-open-connection: server="localhost"
| 2 <- nnimap-open-connection: nil
1 <- nnimap-open-server: nil
1 -> nnimap-request-close:
1 <- nnimap-request-close: nil

| 2 -> imap-opened: buffer=" *nnimap* localhost"
| 2 <- imap-opened: nil
| | 3 -> imap-open: server="localhost" port=nil stream=nil auth=nil buffer=" *nnimap* localhost"
| | | 4 -> imap-opened: buffer=" *nnimap* localhost"
| | | 4 <- imap-opened: nil
| | | 4 -> imap-open-1: buffer=" *nnimap* localhost"
| | | 4 <- imap-open-1: nil
| | 3 <- imap-open: nil

I know I'm doing something stupid, but I don't see what it is.  Can
someone give me a clue?

Best regards,
Michael

--
D. Michael McFarland
Department of Aerospace Engineering

* Re: nnimap configuration
@ 2004-10-01 14:53 ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-10-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm following up to my own post here, but I've learned a little more
since I wrote:

> At one time I had nnimap working, then switched to nnml, and now I'm
> coming back to nnimap.

[snip description of config and result (server denial)]

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "localhost"
>                 (nnimap-address "localhost")
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX*")))
>         (nnml "")
>         (nntp "leafnode" (nntp-address "127.0.0.1"))))

I've found that if I start the IMAP server without SSL (via
/etc/init.d/courier-imapd on Gentoo Linux), and remove the
(nnimap-stream ssl) in the select method, things work normally.
So I suppose my configuration can't be altogether wrong.  But I'd
rather not run things that way permanently, and I'm annoyed at myself
for not being able to reproduce my formerly working setup (despite
having saved the code from ~/.gnus).

I'll go back to googling for related info now, but I wanted to throw
this in for completeness.

Best regards,
Michael