On Day 54 of The Aftermath 3168, Kai Großjohann wrote: > Martin Rohde writes: > >> On Day 53 of The Aftermath 3168, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote: >>> I believe that nntp-delete-echo should be made buffer local as setting >>> this globally may break configurations that use secondary nntp >>> servers. >> >> I think, that the echo depends on your local configuration, because >> it is /telnet/, that is sending these echos and not the server. >> Ok, then it is not necessary to test it every time you connect to a >> server, but when should this be done instead? > > It is necessary to test it every time you connect to a server, because... > >> But implementing this would be no problem, so if I am wrong and >> there are situations, where the servers could echo something, too, >> tell me. >> >> (It isn't possible to set nntp-open-connection-function for each >> server differently, is it?) > > it *is* possible to set nntp-open-connection-function differently for > each server. That's the whole point, actually. > > You can put the definition in the server parameters, like this: > > (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods > '(nntp "servername" > (nntp-address "host.name.of.server") > (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-telnet-stream) > ...other.nntp-open-telnet.settings...)) Oops. Sorry, then Kevin was right, nntp-delete-echo has to be buffer-local. I fixed the cleaning of the server-buffer after sending "MyNOOP" like you suggested and it works, but I like the version of Kevin very much. In my opinion it works just as well as testing for an echo in nntp-open-connection, but saves code and time. Hm, but it is right to refer to nntp-open-connection-function globally, isn't it? It is connection-dependend, too, but I just found it as a global variable...(That's why I thought, that it would be independent...) If so, here is yet another try: