* IMAP as mail-source (pgnus v0.98)
@ 1999-11-08 12:21 Ulf Betlehem
From: Ulf Betlehem @ 1999-11-08 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I tried using IMAP as an alternative to POP and it works ok,
        except that I was unable to find a way of automatically deleting
        messages (as in actually removing them from the server) after
        transferring them to my machine. Another nuisance is that it
        keeps asking for my password every time I fetch mail, regardless
        of what I answer at the "Store password for this session?"
        prompt.

        The reason why I tried IMAP, is because popping mail from my
        ssh-forwarded local port is awfully slow. However, I suspect
        this has nothing to do with my favourite news (and mail) reader.

        Thank you!

--
 flu

* Re: IMAP as mail-source (pgnus v0.98)
@ 1999-11-12 23:48 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-11-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ulf Betlehem <flu@iki.fi> writes:

>         I tried using IMAP as an alternative to POP and it works ok,
>         except that I was unable to find a way of automatically deleting
>         messages (as in actually removing them from the server) after
>         transferring them to my machine.

I've added two new keywords `fetchflag' and `dontexpunge', and changed
the default behaviour -- the imap mail-source now put a \Deleted mark
on all fetched articles, and expunge:s the mailbox by default.

See the manual for details.

>         Another nuisance is that it keeps asking for my password
>         every time I fetch mail, regardless of what I answer at the
>         "Store password for this session?"  prompt.

This is because every time the IMAP mail-source is run, it creates a
new buffer for the server connection, and then destroy that buffer. I
guess it could keep the buffer around after each run, and use a
variable to map mail-source:s into the right buffer.