* Specifying date _and_ time for a delayed article?
@ 2020-10-03 17:53 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-10-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When I press C-c C-j to delay an article, I'm prompted like this:

  "Target date (YYYY-MM-DD), time (hh:mm), or length of delay (units in mhdwMY): 3d"

This is nice and flexible. In this particular case, I wanted to send an
article on a specific date _and_ time.

So I tried entering "2021-07-14 17:03:30", and Gnus happily accepted
that. But if I look at the delayed article in nndraft:delayed, the
header is:

Hmmm.

Wouldn't it make more sense to either use the date and time entered, OR
at least reject the string as invalid, rather than changing the time to
08:00:00?

What do you think, patches accepted?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Somebody said from the Bible he'd quote                   Adam Sjøgren
  There was dust on the man in the long black coat"    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Specifying date _and_ time for a delayed article?
@ 2020-10-04  5:57 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2020-10-04  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

> […]

> Wouldn't it make more sense to either use the date and time entered, OR
> at least reject the string as invalid, rather than changing the time to
> 08:00:00?

> What do you think, patches accepted?

At the very least appreciated :-).  (Even in the former case
it would be nice for Gnus to always display the parsed time-
stamp in the mini-buffer, i. e. instead of (the rather mean-
ingless) "Wrote /home/tim/News/drafts/delayed/1" "Message
will be sent on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 08:00:00 +0200.")

Tim

* Re: Specifying date _and_ time for a delayed article?
@ 2020-10-07 16:34 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-10-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> When I press C-c C-j to delay an article, I'm prompted like this:
>
>   "Target date (YYYY-MM-DD), time (hh:mm), or length of delay (units in mhdwMY): 3d"
>
> This is nice and flexible. In this particular case, I wanted to send an
> article on a specific date _and_ time.
>
> So I tried entering "2021-07-14 17:03:30", and Gnus happily accepted
> that. But if I look at the delayed article in nndraft:delayed, the
> header is:

> Hmmm.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to either use the date and time entered, OR
> at least reject the string as invalid, rather than changing the time to
> 08:00:00?
>
> What do you think, patches accepted?

In my opinion we should be trying to find and use some other, Emacs-wide
date-time prompt function, rather than writing something Gnus-specific.
Org also ships with Emacs, and it has very good datetime prompts, but it
could be a little too tied to Org, I haven't actually looked at it.

Anyway, maybe that function doesn't even exist yet, but I think that
would be a better approach!