From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Automatically displaying content of [some] attachments
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 22:40:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Wayne writes:

> I don't even think it really must be asked to the public.  By just
> putting precisely the question down to yourself seems to _essentially_
> do the same job.  Of course, without the public's scrutiny, you're
> relevantly limited and denied the joy and profit of exchange.

For some reason I don't look into solving niggles with Gnus until after
I have actual sent off the question.

Before I send it, I feel like, hmm, I should ask about this, because
it's too tedious for me to figure out, and if somebody has the answer
already, I'd love to have it.

Then I send the question, and it triggers an "aww, let me just take a
quick look, how hard can it be, it's Emacs, for crying out loud"-reaction.

In other circumstances it's enough for me to put the question into
words, sometimes even to nobody; the famous "rubber ducking".

But for Gnus, and also for jabber.el, come to think of it, I almost
always send the question before solving it. In the case of jabber.el
sometimes spending days on it.

I am not sure why.

I do feel a little like a crazy person posting monologues, sometimes.

> Asking a good question requires sincerity and even courage to admit
> your inability to answer it;

I think that is an interesting point.

That's one of the things I look for in student helpers at work, do they
tell me when there is stuff they don't know (I avoided the word "admit"
here, because it implies not knowing is embarrasing, which it shouldn't
be in that situation), and do they ask questions that clear things up
for them.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you       Adam Sjøgren
  want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe     asjo@koldfront.dk