From: Ferdinand Pieper <fer@pie.tf>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: [RFC] [WIP] Creating icalendar event invitations
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 12:57:17 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi all,

gnus has good support to accept/decline icalendar invitations with
gnus-icalendar.el. I'm looking to extend this to also allow the
creation of new invitations from within gnus.
Below is a first rough implementation which I for now kept in a
separate file from gnus-icalendar.el, but the goal would be for
the code to also live in gnus-icalendar.el.

Most of the code is still very rough and the implementation is not
handling all cases correctly. I'm mainly sharing it now to ask you
whether this is a welcome addition to gnus-icalendar and to ask
for thoughts on the general implementation, before I spend more
time to polish the code.

How it works: The code adds functions to create RFC5545 compliant
VCALENDAR and VEVENT parts from gnus-icalendar-event objects and
also a function to create a event invitation based on the current
message buffer.
To create the gnus-icalendar-event the mail addresses in the To
header are converted to required participants, addresses in Cc are
interpreted as optional participants and the subject and message
body are added as summary and description of the event. The date
range and location have to be entered interactively for now.
Please let me know if you have any other ideas on how users could
create new events.

Next step will be to polish the code so that the basic
functionality of creating simple one-shot event invitations works
reliably.
Long term goals include handling request responses and supporting
a wider range of the RFC5545 spec.

Thanks!