From: Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>
To: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: disable "You have lines longer than 79 characters.  Really post? (y or n) y"
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 19:08:17 +0200	[thread overview]

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> OK, but what is the problem to begin with?

Many mailinglists and newsgroups have rules that state that lines
shouldn't be longer than 80 chars or even smaller.  The OpenBSD
mailinglist rule for example, looks like [1]:

| Plain text, 72 characters per line
|    Many subscribers and developers read their mail on
|    text-based mailers like mail(1), emacs or mutt, and they
|    often find HTML-formatted messages (or lines that stretch
|    beyond 72 characters) unreadable.

The EmacsWiki [2] states something similar and for written
sentences, there is some argumentation why it's a useful line
length.

But I guess whether this applies to URLs is a different matter
(because you don't read urls like a sentence).  Anyway, I trust
Gnus and stick with that limit :-)

[1] https://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
[2] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EightyColumnRule
--