* gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-02 23:18 Greg Troxel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Troxel @ 2018-09-02 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just updated from emacs 25 to 26, and hence updated gnus.  I use gnus,
against a dovecot imap server on localhost.  Generally things have been
fine; I've been using gnus like this since about 2005.  Host is NetBSD,
but that seems unlikely to matter.

After updating, I am observing that on displaying some messages
(articles :-) emacs seems to hang, and ^G results in seeing something
that looks like source.  Another issue is that after typing 'f' to
create a reply-all buffer, C-c C-y to quote the article results in 100%
cpu usage with ^G not interrupting.

I realize I should set debug-on-error and figure out what's going on,
but I don't know how to deal with ^G not working.

I also realize this report is lame and not actionable, but I wonder if
others have seen problems that might be similar or have advice.

Greg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-04 14:12 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-09-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:

> I just updated from emacs 25 to 26, and hence updated gnus.  I use gnus,
> against a dovecot imap server on localhost.  Generally things have been
> fine; I've been using gnus like this since about 2005.  Host is NetBSD,
> but that seems unlikely to matter.
>
> After updating, I am observing that on displaying some messages
> (articles :-) emacs seems to hang, and ^G results in seeing something
> that looks like source.  Another issue is that after typing 'f' to
> create a reply-all buffer, C-c C-y to quote the article results in 100%
> cpu usage with ^G not interrupting.
>
> I realize I should set debug-on-error and figure out what's going on,
> but I don't know how to deal with ^G not working.
>
> I also realize this report is lame and not actionable, but I wonder if
> others have seen problems that might be similar or have advice.

My crystal ball says that its an issue with shr rendering HTML emails.
Are these HTML messages you're opening? If so, try setting
`mm-text-html-renderer' to something other than 'shr, and see if that
changes things. That's my only idea for now!

Eric

* Re: gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-04 15:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-09-04 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sunday,  2 Sep 2018 at 19:18, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I realize I should set debug-on-error and figure out what's going on,
> but I don't know how to deal with ^G not working.

Can't help directly except to say that when gnus hangs and doesn't want
to be interrupted via ^g, it's usually doing a network access to an imap
account.  Anecdotally.  My experience is that imap access is not quite
robust enough generally but have no idea why or how it could be made
better.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian buster/sid

* Re: gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-04 23:25 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2018-09-04 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:

> I just updated from emacs 25 to 26, and hence updated gnus.  I use gnus,
> against a dovecot imap server on localhost.  Generally things have been
> fine; I've been using gnus like this since about 2005.  Host is NetBSD,
> but that seems unlikely to matter.
>
> After updating, I am observing that on displaying some messages
> (articles :-) emacs seems to hang, and ^G results in seeing something
> that looks like source.  Another issue is that after typing 'f' to
> create a reply-all buffer, C-c C-y to quote the article results in 100%
> cpu usage with ^G not interrupting.

Thanks to all for the comments.  Some updates:

  I have gone from 26 to 25 and 24, being sure to rebuild all my
  out-of-emacs elc files (org, bbdb).  Didn't seem to help.

  I am no longer seeing the articles hanging, but I am seeing emacs at
  100% cpu after quoting an article ('f', 'c-c c-y').   I sent SIGUSR2,
  and got a backtrace showing font-lock.  This is repeatable.

  So my theory is that font-lock on-the-fly in a quoted reply is going
  bad.

  I've tried to reduce everything I could, and am flailing a bit, but
  commenting this out seems to have helped:
     ;(modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" text-mode-syntax-table)
  I was trying to get foo_bar treated as a word (in c), and can live
  without that.

I'll check on the shr issue, and follow up if I find anything
definitive.

* Re: gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-05 13:25   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2018-09-05 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: ding

On 04/09/2018 19:25 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>> After updating, I am observing that on displaying some messages
>> (articles :-) emacs seems to hang, and ^G results in seeing something
>> that looks like source.

Try `toggle-debug-on-quit' and then do C-g, it will hopefully show you
what Emacs was doing.

Do you use stock Gnus, or install separately?

And I think the better place for Gnus questions is now
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, probably there are more people to help.

Filipp

* Re: gnus in emacs 26 ok?
@ 2018-09-05 14:14     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2018-09-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: ding

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 04/09/2018 19:25 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>>> After updating, I am observing that on displaying some messages
>>> (articles :-) emacs seems to hang, and ^G results in seeing something
>>> that looks like source.
>
> Try `toggle-debug-on-quit' and then do C-g, it will hopefully show you
> what Emacs was doing.

Thanks.  I have now been setting that, and also using SIGUSR2, which has
worked for me when ^G did not (font-lock issues).

> Do you use stock Gnus, or install separately?

For a long time I tracked the gnus stable branch in git.  But now I am
using gnus included with emacs.

My impression is that gnus only exists within the emacs sources, and
doesn't have backwards compat, so these days essentially the only option
is to use the gnus that comes with the emacs one is using.

> And I think the better place for Gnus questions is now
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, probably there are more people to help.

Thanks.   I had noticed this list becoming more quiet.