On Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 18:25, Eric S Fraga wrote: > On Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 04:04, Emanuel Berg wrote: > > [...] > >> From what I can understand from the manual >> entry, yanked last in this posts, the overview >> files are generated by Gnus only for nnml; for >> NNTP, the server makes them, so I suppose >> additions are communicated and >> appended locally. >> >> If so, deleting a file will help but eventually >> it will grow back to size. > > Well, I deleted the .overview file and I was able to enter the group and > read the posts in it. Memory usage went up only marginally. Simple > enough to make a cron script or equivalent that deletes .overview files > that get too large, I guess. I take it back. Deleting the .overview file is not a good idea. It makes it impossible to retrieve any old articles at all. I've had to recreate the group from the server to get at any old articles. Can anybody suggest how I can read large newsgroups on systems with small memory? I would have thought that gnus should be able to do this. Does it need to keep the whole set of headers in memory? I'm happy to pay the price of network access in lieu of memory overload... Thanks, eric -- Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, org 9.1.5