* Group display after sending mail
@ 2017-10-03  5:07 Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-10-03  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

So typically my group buffer (using topics) looks something like this.

[ Gnus -- 0 ]
  [ Mail -- 0 ]
      0: Inbox
      0: All Mail
      0: Sent Mail
      0: Drafts
  [ Lists -- 0 ]
      0: GNUS List
      0: Emacs Help List
      0: Org-Mode List

But after I send a message it looks like this:

[ Gnus -- 0 ]
 K14256: nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
  [ Mail -- 0 ]
      0: Inbox
      0: All Mail
      0: Sent Mail
      0: Drafts
  [ Lists -- 0 ]
      0: GNUS List
      0: Emacs Help List
      0: Org-Mode List

After my next 'g' things return to normal.

I don't know where the K14256: etc. line comes from nor how to make it
not appear. Yes, it's a killed group.

Using the latest Gnus with Emacs 25.1.1 and reading mail with nnimap
directly from Gmail. No NNTP.

Mahalo in advance for any insights.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Group display after sending mail
@ 2017-10-03  5:33 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-03  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> Aloha,
>
> So typically my group buffer (using topics) looks something like this.
>
> [ Gnus -- 0 ]
>   [ Mail -- 0 ]
>       0: Inbox
>       0: All Mail
>       0: Sent Mail
>       0: Drafts
>   [ Lists -- 0 ]
>       0: GNUS List
>       0: Emacs Help List
>       0: Org-Mode List
>
> But after I send a message it looks like this:
>
> [ Gnus -- 0 ]
>  K14256: nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
>   [ Mail -- 0 ]
>       0: Inbox
>       0: All Mail
>       0: Sent Mail
>       0: Drafts
>   [ Lists -- 0 ]
>       0: GNUS List
>       0: Emacs Help List
>       0: Org-Mode List
>
> After my next 'g' things return to normal.
>
> I don't know where the K14256: etc. line comes from nor how to make it
> not appear. Yes, it's a killed group.

Almost certainly this is because your sent messages are going into
"nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Sent Mail", and so, after sending, Gnus displays
this group for you. When you compose a new message, does the message
composition buffer show this header?

Gcc: nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Sent Mail

Is this the group sent mail should be going in to?

I'm not sure what ought to happen in the case that this is the correct
sent mail group, but you don't actually want to subscribe to it.

But I'm guessing that you want sent mail saved somewhere else?

Eric

* Re: Group display after sending mail
@ 2017-10-03  7:44   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-10-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Almost certainly this is because your sent messages are going into
> "nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Sent Mail", and so, after sending, Gnus displays
> this group for you.

Yes, this is the problem, and many thanks. I did think that since I had
"killed" this group it wouldn't pop up, but gnus knows best, I suppose.

In any case, changing the value of gnus-message-archive-group from

nnimap+gmail.com:[Gmail]/Sent Mail

nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Sent Mail

gives the desired results.