From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Testers wanted: New gnus backend nnselect
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 08:34:39 -0700	[thread overview]

> On Thursday, 27 Apr 2017 at 16:03, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Andrew Cohen <cohen@bu.edu> writes:
>>
>>> TLDR: Please test the new feature found on the git repository at
>>> feature/gnus-select.
>>>

>> First off. TLDR?
>
> Too long, didn't read.  (or don't read)  :-)

nnselect is basically a much more generalized version of nnvirtual: it
lets you create groups holding messages from other groups. That could
mean all the messages from other groups (the way nnvirtual works now),
or messages based on arbitrary criteria. It's also the new incarnation
of nnir, so it serves as the backend that holds search results.

> On Friday, 28 Apr 2017 at 01:18, Andrew Cohen wrote:
>> It should work, but its totally untested (I don't use the agent). The
>> nnselect backend (which is independent of searching) should act like any
>> backend and use the agent as appropriate (although since it hasn't been
>> tested it is probably buggy). The searching part should behave as (the
>> other) Eric indicated: searches in local indices should work fine, and
>> searches that require a network connection should signal an error.
>
> I don't have any local index (as far as I know).  I simply enable the
> agent to ensure I can read my emails off-line (I spend 2-3 hours a day
> off-line while commuting).

This is IMAP, right? Anyway, no, the search won't work. I guess I'd
expect it to behave the same as it behaves now. I've toyed with the idea
of using the agent and the registry to create a sort of limited
ephemeral index of messages seen in this Gnus session, but that's mostly
daydreaming.

>> It would be helpful if you could checkout feature/gnus-select and see
>> what happens :)
>
> Is this from the emacs repository or is there a separate gnus one?  In
> either case, where is it located please?

Yes, it's in the base emacs repo, the feature/gnus-select branch.

Eric