* [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-26 15:42 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-26 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-27  1:46 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-11-27  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> Hello,
>
> same player, shoot again.
>
> This is a 2-questions-in-one message:
>
> * do you use both methods (and if so, why) ?
>
> * is there any possibility to connect to a remote SIEVE server from Gnus ?

When I switched from Google to self-hosted email, I switched from
client-side split to server-side SIEVE. It just seemed a bit silly to be
creating all that extra network traffic. The only thing I regret a tiny
bit is automatic splitting based on BBDB "imap" fields. Everything else
I had to write by hand anyway, and while it's definitely more of a pain
to do it in SIEVE, it's usually a one-time pain.

Emacs comes with a sieve.el package that can interact with a dovecot
sieve server. I tried it once without reading the documentation, screwed
it up, and didn't bother going back and doing it right. I'm sure it
works just fine, if you actually learn to use it :)

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-27  5:18   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-27  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> The only thing I regret a tiny bit is automatic splitting based on
> BBDB "imap" fields.

What's its use ? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.

Julien.

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-27  5:39     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-11-27  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>> The only thing I regret a tiny bit is automatic splitting based on
>> BBDB "imap" fields.
>
> What's its use ? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.
>
> Julien.

Whoops, might have only responded to Julien. Long story short: see the
docstring of the function `bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb'!

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-27 14:04       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> The only thing I regret a tiny bit is automatic splitting based on
>>> BBDB "imap" fields.
>>
>> What's its use ? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.
>>
>> Julien.
>
> Whoops, might have only responded to Julien. Long story short: see the
> docstring of the function `bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb'!

How is it different from the gnus-private field in bbdb (see
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SplitMailUsingBbdb)?

Julien.

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-28  3:15         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-11-28  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>>> What's its use ? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.
>>>
>>> Julien.
>>
>> Whoops, might have only responded to Julien. Long story short: see the
>> docstring of the function `bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb'!
>
> How is it different from the gnus-private field in bbdb (see
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SplitMailUsingBbdb)?

Doesn't look particularly different. It's slightly simpler to configure,
but it doesn't have the public/private distinction. I don't know why
both exist!

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-28  8:47           ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

>> How is it different from the gnus-private field in bbdb (see
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SplitMailUsingBbdb)?
>
> Doesn't look particularly different. It's slightly simpler to configure,
> but it doesn't have the public/private distinction. I don't know why
> both exist!

The public entry makes it possible to split according to the To: field,
useful for messages from a mailing list.

Julien.

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-28 10:26           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-11-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> Doesn't look particularly different. It's slightly simpler to configure,
> but it doesn't have the public/private distinction.

Isn't the 'gnus-public' field used for that?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-11-28 14:46             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-11-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric writes:
>
>> Doesn't look particularly different. It's slightly simpler to configure,
>> but it doesn't have the public/private distinction.
>
> Isn't the 'gnus-public' field used for that?

Yes, all I meant was, bbdb/gnus-split-method is more complicated to
configure, but gives you the public/private distinction.
bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb is easier to use, but doesn't
give you that distinction. I wasn't saying anything very interesting, really.

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-12-03 12:38   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2015-12-03 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Emacs comes with a sieve.el package that can interact with a dovecot
> sieve server. I tried it once without reading the documentation, screwed
> it up, and didn't bother going back and doing it right. I'm sure it
> works just fine, if you actually learn to use it :)

It works for me against Cyrus IMAP's managesieve server.  From *Group*,
I press `D g' to generate my sieve script (based on group sieve
parameter), and `C-c RET' in the sieve file to start a connection
against the remote server, fill in the hostname, username and password,
and then `C-c l' in the first buffer to upload it to the server.

/Simon

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [nnimap] nnimap-split vs SIEVE script ?
@ 2015-12-04  7:02     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-04  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

>> Emacs comes with a sieve.el package that can interact with a dovecot
>> sieve server. I tried it once without reading the documentation, screwed
>> it up, and didn't bother going back and doing it right. I'm sure it
>> works just fine, if you actually learn to use it :)
>
> It works for me against Cyrus IMAP's managesieve server.  From *Group*,
> I press `D g' to generate my sieve script (based on group sieve
> parameter), and `C-c RET' in the sieve file to start a connection
> against the remote server, fill in the hostname, username and password,
> and then `C-c l' in the first buffer to upload it to the server.

Maybe my problem was that I wrote the script first, on the server, then
only later tried to access it with Emacs and edit it. I think the
re-upload process failed halfway through or something, and I ended up
with a bunch of extra files on the server, and the script in the wrong
place. It's one of those things that doesn't annoy me often enough to
make me actually go and fix it.