* dealing with separate accounts separately in gnus
@ 2014-09-08  0:59 lee
From: lee @ 2014-09-08  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

suppose I have several email accounts.  I would like to treat these
accounts completely separately from each other in gnus.

One of these accounts gets incoming email from an imap server and uses
nnml for storage.  It's my default account which I'm using now.

Another one would be an account on a remote imap server and not be
supposed to store or do anything with the nnml storage or to interfere
with mail splitting, and I don't want the mails to be mixed up in any
way.  It would suffice to have the other account show up as a group in
the group buffer.

Is this even possible with gnus?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.

* Re: dealing with separate accounts separately in gnus
@ 2014-09-08  2:18 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-09-08  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> suppose I have several email accounts.  I would like to treat these
> accounts completely separately from each other in gnus.
>
> One of these accounts gets incoming email from an imap server and uses
> nnml for storage.  It's my default account which I'm using now.
>
> Another one would be an account on a remote imap server and not be
> supposed to store or do anything with the nnml storage or to interfere
> with mail splitting, and I don't want the mails to be mixed up in any
> way.  It would suffice to have the other account show up as a group in
> the group buffer.
>
> Is this even possible with gnus?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but it sounds
like you want a pretty normal setup, with two servers. You've already
got one server, just add another nnimap server. By default nnimap
doesn't store anything locally, it just contacts the remote server, and
splitting won't occur at all if you don't set nnimap-split-methods as a
server parameter (you may also need to omit the nnimap-inbox parameter,
but I'm not sure about that). See the "Using IMAP" section of the Gnus
manual for the absolute most bare-bones setup.

If the server is splitting mail into mailboxes, you'll still have
multiple groups on this server. But you can choose to subscribe to them
or not.

Hope that's what you were looking for,
eric

* Re: dealing with separate accounts separately in gnus
@ 2014-09-08 20:45   ` lee
From: lee @ 2014-09-08 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> suppose I have several email accounts.  I would like to treat these
>> accounts completely separately from each other in gnus.
>>
>> One of these accounts gets incoming email from an imap server and uses
>> nnml for storage.  It's my default account which I'm using now.
>>
>> Another one would be an account on a remote imap server and not be
>> supposed to store or do anything with the nnml storage or to interfere
>> with mail splitting, and I don't want the mails to be mixed up in any
>> way.  It would suffice to have the other account show up as a group in
>> the group buffer.
>>
>> Is this even possible with gnus?
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but it sounds
> like you want a pretty normal setup, with two servers.

It's anything but "normal" for me to have multiple email accounts ...

> You've already got one server, just add another nnimap server.

The server I already have is the mail-source:

(setq mail-sources
      '((imap :server "jarl.yagibdah.de" :stream ssl)))

All mail is stored in nnml storage.  Gnus takes it from the server and
splits it.  I'm not doing anything on this IMAP server but taking the
incoming emails from it.

The second account must not interfere in any way with this.

> By default nnimap doesn't store anything locally, it just contacts the
> remote server, and splitting won't occur at all if you don't set
> nnimap-split-methods as a server parameter (you may also need to omit
> the nnimap-inbox parameter, but I'm not sure about that).

I have (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy) and (setq
nnmail-split-fancy '[...]).  I've experimented with, IIRC IMAP, quite a
while ago and found that it would totally screw up the splitting because
gnus wanted/needed to be told which storage to use to put the split mail
into, and I didn't manage to tell it.

> See the "Using IMAP" section of the Gnus manual for the absolute most
> bare-bones setup.

Yes, I looked at that.  What would I set up?
'gnus-secondary-select-methods?  IIRC that would interfere badly with
what I have now.

It might have to do with gnus telling that 'gnus-select-method' is nnml.
So what is it supposed to do with mail residing on an IMAP account?  Put
it into the nnml storage (an obvious choice)?  Put mail from nnml into
the IMAP account (an extremely bad choice in this case)?  Put mail from
one IMAP account into the other (also an extremely bad choice).

--

@ 2014-09-08 21:41     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-08 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> The server I already have is the mail-source:

> (setq mail-sources
>       '((imap :server "jarl.yagibdah.de" :stream ssl)))

This is the "using IMAP as glorified POP"-way of using IMAP, which isn't
the usual mode.

(Although a perfectly fine thing to do, when you want your emails
locally.)

[...]

> The second account must not interfere in any way with this.

Just add nnimap servers to gnus-secondary-methods for the other
accounts, and you should be golden.

The mail from these accounts will stay on the IMAP-server, when you
configure Gnus like this.

[...]

> 'gnus-secondary-select-methods?  IIRC that would interfere badly with
> what I have now.

How?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Archbishop of anarchy"                                      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: dealing with separate accounts separately in gnus
@ 2014-11-10  0:06       ` lee
From: lee @ 2014-11-10  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> The server I already have is the mail-source:
>
>> (setq mail-sources
>>       '((imap :server "jarl.yagibdah.de" :stream ssl)))
>>

> This is the "using IMAP as glorified POP"-way of using IMAP, which isn't
> the usual mode.

Well, it has its advantages.  And I had all the mail locally before I
set up the IMAP server and wasn't keen on moving it all over.  It would
also require to have sufficient disc space on the IMAP server which
kinda is a waste.

> (Although a perfectly fine thing to do, when you want your emails
> locally.)
>
> [...]
>
>> The second account must not interfere in any way with this.
>
> Just add nnimap servers to gnus-secondary-methods for the other
> accounts, and you should be golden.
>
> The mail from these accounts will stay on the IMAP-server, when you
> configure Gnus like this.

For those other accounts, that's desirable.

> [...]
>
>> 'gnus-secondary-select-methods?  IIRC that would interfere badly with
>> what I have now.
>
> How?

Like the mail splitting becoming uncertain about where to put the
messages and being uncertain about where to put them when I move
messages from one folder to another manually.

I might be better off setting up gnus for a different user.  That would
really keep it separately :)

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.