* show attachments on the top
@ 2013-11-01 10:32 Katsumi Yamaoka
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-11-01 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/octet-stream, Size: 1773 bytes --]

(defvar my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top-p nil)

(defun my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top ()
  "Show attachments on the top of the body."
  (interactive)
  (with-current-buffer gnus-article-buffer
    (let* ((top (progn (article-goto-body) (point)))
	   (st top)
	   (inhibit-read-only t)
	   nd parts marker)
      (while (setq st (text-property-not-all st (point-max) 'gnus-part nil))
	(setq nd (or (text-property-any st (point-max) 'gnus-part nil)
		     (point-max)))
	(if (member "attachment"
		    (mm-handle-disposition (get-text-property st 'gnus-data)))
	    (progn
	      (push (cons (buffer-substring st nd) (overlays-at st)) parts)
	      (delete-region st (if (eq (char-after nd) ?\n) (1+ nd) nd)))
	  (setq st nd)))
      (goto-char top)
      (dolist (part (nreverse parts))
	(setq st (point))
	(insert (car part))
	(unless (bolp) (insert "\n"))
	(setq nd (point))
	(dolist (ovl (cdr part))
	  (when (setq marker (plist-get (cdr (overlay-get ovl 'button)) :from))
	    (set-marker marker st))
	  (when (setq marker (plist-get (cdr (overlay-get ovl 'button)) :to))
	    (set-marker marker nd))
	  (move-overlay ovl st nd)))
      (when (and parts (not (eq (char-after) ?\n)))
	(insert "\n")))
    (set-buffer-modified-p nil)))

(defadvice gnus-article-prepare (around toggle-attachments-position activate)
  "Toggle the position where attachments are."
  (setq my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top-p
	(if (eq (gnus-summary-article-number)
		(and (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-article-buffer)
		     (with-current-buffer gnus-article-buffer
		       (cdr gnus-article-current))))
	    (not my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top-p)
	  t))
  ad-do-it
  (when my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top-p
    (my-gnus-summary-show-attachments-on-top)))

Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.

The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
`g' toggles the appearance.

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2013-11-01 11:27 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2013-11-01 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Nov 01 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
> mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
> is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.
>
> The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
> `g' toggles the appearance.

I like the idea; what about adding an option to toggle that?

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / independent consultant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2013-12-26 16:52 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
> mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
> is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.
>
> The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
> `g' toggles the appearance.

Making the attachments more visible is a good idea.  Would it make sense
to add a new "header" in the display that just lists them?

Attachments: [button] [button] [button]

They could also be included where they are in the message like now, but
listing them twice shouldn't be a problem...

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-17 18:29 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-01-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

>> "Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

   > Hi,
   > Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
   > mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
   > is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.

   > The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
   > `g' toggles the appearance.

Thanks for the code, I have used it frequently since it was released.

However I just received a mail in which the author put his attachment,
*after* his signature and in this case your functions fails.

Do you want me to send you an example?

regards

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-18  8:13   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-01-18  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 17 Jan 2014, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>>> "Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
>> mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
>> is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.
>
>> The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
>> `g' toggles the appearance.
>
> Thanks for the code, I have used it frequently since it was released.
>
> However I just received a mail in which the author put his attachment,
> *after* his signature and in this case your functions fails.

+1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-18 12:41   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-01-18 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> However I just received a mail in which the author put his attachment,
> *after* his signature and in this case your functions fails.

Thanks.  I'm going to fix it on Monday...

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-19 23:30     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-01-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> However I just received a mail in which the author put his attachment,
>> *after* his signature and in this case your functions fails.

> Thanks.  I'm going to fix it on Monday...

I'm unable to reproduce this, sorry.  Could you send me an example?

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-21 11:09       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-01-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

   > Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
   >> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> However I just received a mail in which the author put his attachment,
>> *after* his signature and in this case your functions fails.

   >> Thanks.  I'm going to fix it on Monday...

   > I'm unable to reproduce this, sorry.  Could you send me an example?

The email in question was sent using

    -  Apple Mail,

    -  as a HTMLized mail

    -  and using  the no standard mail signature separator

I don't have a apple so the only thing I can do is to forward you the message in
question, but that I would prefer to do off the list. Your email address
however is refused when I send it to you, please tell me what to do.

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-21 23:55         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-01-21 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Your email address however is refused when I send it to you,
> please tell me what to do.

Oops.  Sadly my e-mail addresses are sometimes black-listed
because of spammers who are under the assumed name of it.
Though it is expired from the list within a couple of days, it's
very annoying. :<
Could you send again an example to <yamaoka (at) twa.co.jp> ?

Thanks.

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-22 11:18           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-01-22 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Your email address however is refused when I send it to you,
   >> please tell me what to do.

   > Oops.  Sadly my e-mail addresses are sometimes black-listed
   > because of spammers who are under the assumed name of it.
   > Though it is expired from the list within a couple of days, it's
   > very annoying. :<
   > Could you send again an example to <yamaoka (at) twa.co.jp> ?

Done, I sent it in three different formats:

    -  gnus inline

    -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, inline

    -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, attachment

Thanks

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-23  2:09             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-01-23  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Done, I sent it in three different formats:
>     -  gnus inline
>     -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, inline
>     -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, attachment

I've received those mails.  Thanks.  The revised code is attached.

I realized my fault was that the MIME parts that the code moves
to the top was only attachments.  In an example mail, but there
is an inline PDF part, that is not inlinable in Gnus normally[1].
So, I've changed the criteria so as to gather the ones that are
not inlinable in Gnus.

By the way, Lars suggested a way to show attachment buttons in
the header[2].  It looks much smart, so I'd like to try it when
I have time.

[1] Though it might be possible to display an inline PDF part in
    the article buffer by using docview.
[2]
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83832/focus=83999>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 1338 bytes --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-23  8:04               ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-01-23  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 23 Jan 2014, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Done, I sent it in three different formats:
>> -  gnus inline
>> -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, inline
>> -  seamonkey (thunderbird) html, attachment
>
> I've received those mails.  Thanks.  The revised code is attached.

Just like to note that won't work when, for instance

	(nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/"))

is set.

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-23 10:37                 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-01-23 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

,---- (info "(gnus)Customizing the IMAP Connection")
| ‘nnimap-fetch-partial-articles’
|      If non-‘nil’, fetch partial articles from the server.  If set to a
|      string, then it’s interpreted as a regexp, and parts that have
|      matching types will be fetched.  For instance, ‘"text/"’ will fetch
|      all textual parts, while leaving the rest on the server.
`----

IIUC this, we have nothing to do for it.  (I'm not an IMAP user.)

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-01-23 13:46               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-01-23 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > I've received those mails.  Thanks.  The revised code is attached.

   > I realized my fault was that the MIME parts that the code moves
   > to the top was only attachments.  In an example mail, but there
   > is an inline PDF part, that is not inlinable in Gnus normally[1].
   > So, I've changed the criteria so as to gather the ones that are
   > not inlinable in Gnus.

Thanks, it works nicely.

   > By the way, Lars suggested a way to show attachment buttons in
   > the header[2].  It looks much smart, so I'd like to try it when
   > I have time.

You yes please this sounds very nice.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-05  9:54   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-02-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
>> mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
>> is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.
>>
>> The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
>> `g' toggles the appearance.

> Making the attachments more visible is a good idea.  Would it make sense
> to add a new "header" in the display that just lists them?

> Attachments: [button] [button] [button]

> They could also be included where they are in the message like now, but
> listing them twice shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've implemented this in the Gnus Git
master.  Now the feature is turned on by default.  If you don't
want it, set `gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header' to
nil.

If you have the old code in your .gnus.el file, please remove it
anyway.  Customize `gnus-header-face-alist' as follows if you
want to change the appearance of buttons:

(eval-after-load "gnus-art"
  '(add-to-list
    'gnus-header-face-alist
    '("Attachments?:" Header-Name-Face Header-Content-Face)))

When you customize it, note that the element that begins with
"" should be the last item of `gnus-header-face-alist'.

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-08  6:23     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-08  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>>> Maybe no one will add a MIME part in this way; people (or almost
>>> mail clients) add attachments at the bottom no matter how the body
>>> is big.  Because of this, I sometimes overlook them.
>>>
>>> The code in this attachment makes Gnus show attachments at the top.
>>> `g' toggles the appearance.
>
>> Making the attachments more visible is a good idea.  Would it make sense
>> to add a new "header" in the display that just lists them?
>
>> Attachments: [button] [button] [button]
>
>> They could also be included where they are in the message like now, but
>> listing them twice shouldn't be a problem...
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I've implemented this in the Gnus Git
> master.  Now the feature is turned on by default.  If you don't
> want it, set `gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header' to
> nil.
>
> If you have the old code in your .gnus.el file, please remove it
> anyway.  Customize `gnus-header-face-alist' as follows if you
> want to change the appearance of buttons:
>
> (eval-after-load "gnus-art"
>   '(add-to-list
>     'gnus-header-face-alist
>     '("Attachments?:" Header-Name-Face Header-Content-Face)))
>
> When you customize it, note that the element that begins with
> "" should be the last item of `gnus-header-face-alist'.

I really like this change! One thing that seems a bit broken now,
though, is hitting "K o" from the summary buffer --
gnus-article-save-part. I tried it on a few different messages, and they
all gave me the same error, below. I haven't customized much in this
area, so I assume it's not a local issue, but let me know if you want
more information.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p "2")
  gnus-article-part-wrapper(nil mm-save-part)
  gnus-article-save-part(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-article-save-part nil nil)

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-08 10:55       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-02-08 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> I really like this change! One thing that seems a bit broken now,
> though, is hitting "K o" from the summary buffer --
> gnus-article-save-part. I tried it on a few different messages, and they
> all gave me the same error, below. I haven't customized much in this
> area, so I assume it's not a local issue, but let me know if you want
> more information.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p "2")
>   gnus-article-part-wrapper(nil mm-save-part)
>   gnus-article-save-part(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-article-save-part nil nil)

Thanks for pointing it out.  I'll fix it, but after this weekend,
sorry.

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-08 12:20         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> I really like this change! One thing that seems a bit broken now,
>> though, is hitting "K o" from the summary buffer --
>> gnus-article-save-part. I tried it on a few different messages, and they
>> all gave me the same error, below. I haven't customized much in this
>> area, so I assume it's not a local issue, but let me know if you want
>> more information.
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p "2")
>>   gnus-article-part-wrapper(nil mm-save-part)
>>   gnus-article-save-part(nil)
>>   call-interactively(gnus-article-save-part nil nil)
>
> Thanks for pointing it out.  I'll fix it, but after this weekend,
> sorry.

I wasn't planning on losing any sleep over it :)

Thanks!

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-10  0:19           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-02-10  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p "2")
>>>   gnus-article-part-wrapper(nil mm-save-part)
>>>   gnus-article-save-part(nil)
>>>   call-interactively(gnus-article-save-part nil nil)
>> Thanks for pointing it out.  I'll fix it, but after this weekend,
>> sorry.

> I wasn't planning on losing any sleep over it :)

I've installed a fix.  Could you try it?

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-02-10  5:46             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-10  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> Thanks for pointing it out.  I'll fix it, but after this weekend,
>>> sorry.
>
>> I wasn't planning on losing any sleep over it :)
>
> I've installed a fix.  Could you try it?

Seems to be working fine. Thanks again!

* Re: show attachments on the top
@ 2014-03-05 17:42       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-05 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> I really like this change!

Yeah, it's really nice.  97.3% of the time, the attachment is the main
point of the message, so having it at the start (instead of the end) is
a great improvement.