From: Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: News scan on startup vs 'g' in group buff
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:47:53 +0100	[thread overview]

> Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Since I'm way less skilled than my near multiple decade use of gnus
>>> would indicate and if no one has any advice on how to track down
>>> what is causing the time out, then I thought finding out why a
>>> restart doesn't time out, that is, what is different scanning for
>>> news during start up compared to 'g' then maybe I could just use
>>> that bit for now as a work-around.
>> Is it by any chance gnus-get-unread-articles ?
>
> I'm not sure if you're asking me this, or asking for other posters to
> answer.. it appears to be the same question I was asking.
>
> What commands or functions scan for news on startup?  Is different
> than `g'?

I was suggesting you explore that function and see where it leads.

> I tried evaluating that function you mentioned but got the same near
> infinite stall.  But must have broke out sometime in the next half
> hour because after 12 minutes I had to leave the computer... but when
> I came back about half hour later it appeared to be out of the stall.

Ok, so that was a dead end!

>> On your 'g' problem, a quick look at the docstring for
>> gnus-group-get-new-news, opens up at least one possibility
>> ,----
>> | (gnus-group-get-new-news &optional ARG ONE-LEVEL)
>> |
>> | Get newly arrived articles.  If ARG is a number, it specifies
>> | which levels you are interested in re-scanning.  If ARG is non-nil
>> | and not a number, this will force "hard" re-reading of the active
>> | files from all servers.  If ONE-LEVEL is not nil, then re-scan
>> | only the specified level, otherwise all levels below ARG will be
>> | scanned too.
>> `----
>>
>> Have you tried passing a numerical argument to 'g' ?  ie 'C-u 2 g',
>> if your mail groups are at level 2 and 1?
>
> No, I haven't keep different levels for yrs, and it would take some
> serious rearranging to try that.

The idea was to avoid a "hard" read of the active file, to see if that
makes a difference. The right number will catch all your mail groups.
If your mail groups are all level 4 or below then just do 'C-u 4 g'. If
it seizes up again then no joy and you have lost a few more minutes, if
not then the active file reading was the problem.

atb

Glyn